Proxmox Single NIC VLAN Tagging

Edgar Lepiten II

Jun 8, 2018
Hi,

Sorry if this was already answered from other posts but I can't seem to find any. I have a HP Z420 Desktop installed with Proxmox 4.4-1. It's NIC can support VLAN tagging, however I don't have any idea on how can I tag the host with a specific VLAN ID so that I can still manage to open its web GUI or even SSH. Here is my configuration for my Proxmox:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.90.3.60
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.90.3.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
bridge_vlan_aware yes

We have ESXi server here in the office and for us to easily use its VLAN support is we'll input the VLAN ID and assign a static IP and it works. However with Proxmox, it is not that straight forward.

Please take note that I have already made the port in trunk mode and made my vmbr0 VLAN aware but still same. Currently I reverted back my changes (made the switch port in access mode again but still VLAN aware)

Hoping for your quick answers

Thank you!

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I tried on what is written on the said wiki and it seems to work now.

Here is my current config:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth0.3 inet manual

auto vmbr0v3
iface vmbr0v3 inet static
address x.x.x.x (my host IP address)
netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (my host subnet mask)
gateway x.x.x.x (my host gateway IP address)
bridge_ports eth0.3
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
bridge_vlan_aware yes

iface vmbr0 inet manual
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Thank you so much!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!