[SOLVED] Proxmox setup not starting

bogdan.solga

Nov 26, 2020
Hello!

I want to install Proxmox 6.1 on a workstation and I have a problem with the starting of the setup process. I will describe onwards the hardware setup and the issue:

Hardware:
The problem: after starting the setup from an USB stick and selecting 'Install Proxmox VE' from the initial screen, the computer enters in a (sort of) endless screen initializing loop, which fails each time and there is nothing displayed on the screen.

Initially I thought there is an issue with the UEFI boot. I disabled the UEFI boot in BIOS and started the setup in Legacy mode, but to no avail - the same behavior happened. I have tried with another graphics card (an older Nvidia GT 710 card) and I had the same issue.

Please advise on what I can do.

hi,
have you tried latest iso?

can you try 6.3 that was just released today?

Hello, @oguz !

I have made several attempts to start the setup and the conclusions are:
  • in UEFI mode - the result is the same: the installer starts, it displays a few lines and then, after the DHCP setup, the setup seems to be rebooted and the screen enters in a continuous restart loop
  • in Legacy mode - the screen is locked immediately after the splash screen is displayed, with no possibility to continue onwards
I presume the issues may be related to the graphics card and/or the BIOS setup, but I don't know what to do onwards.

Any ideas?

how did you burn the iso? you should try with rufus [0]

in UEFI mode - the result is the same: the installer starts, it displays a few lines and then, after the DHCP setup, the setup seems to be rebooted and the screen enters in a continuous restart loop
is your server connected to network during the setup? it should be

can you send a screenshot maybe?

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Prepare_Installation_Media

is your server connected to network during the setup? it should be
No, it is not connected. I will try with the server connected and let you know; I certainly hope that is the issue :)

how did you burn the iso? you should try with rufus [0]
I have used Etcher, as I am using a MacOS system.

I have further tested and here are the results:
  • I have tried with an attached network (LAN) cable - I got the same result, the installer seems to be rebooted after the DHCP stage. The graphical display keeps (sort of) trying to reconnect, but the installer is not resumed
  • I have further tried to boot the computer using other operating systems, to see if the issue is with the Proxmox setup. I have managed to install Debian 10, both the text and graphical installation worked properly (in UEFI mode). After installing the OS and booting it for the first time, the screen (once again) goes black when loading the desktop and there's nothing I can do.
After this experiment... I tend to think that the graphics card and/or the motherboard may have some issues. Please let me know if you have any further ideas on what I can do to test.

Thank you!

I found the issue - the graphics card was not UEFI compatible. After I replaced it, I installed Proxmox without any problems.

Hello Bogdan

Argh, I have the same config ... Beside the fact my card is a MSI GT 710 2GD3H LP and of course I have the same problem. So annoying, this setup should take 5 min and I'm stuck like you were.

I have 2 question for you.
- How did you find that the problem was a UEFI compatibility of the card ?
- What card did you found as a replacement ?

And one question if the Proxmox support guys read this :)
- Is there any plan to fix this setup expérience ?

Cheers

Hello, @stefcntct :)

I have 'solved' the issue by replacing the graphics card. It seems that the GT 710 chipset doesn't support UEFI.
After I replaced the card with a Radeon W5500, I could install Proxmox without any issue.

Regarding the Proxmox support guys reading it - as far as I understand, there isn't anything that they can do about it :), since it's a hardware (graphics card) issue.

All the best,
Bogdan

Thanks very much @bogdan.solga

In case this can help someone in the futur, I found a work arroud. Nothing new but it did work.

As my/our problem is on the setup of proxmox that suddenly decide it needs a full luxuary experience with graphics :) , I tried to do a non graphical setup on top of a Debian buster install - This is well described in the proxmox documentation.

It went thru nicely until I got the url to connect to the web interface and everything seems to be fine so far.
I'll put it on observation for a day or two :)

Anyway, this what I meant in "changing the setup experience". This is a headless solution used thru a web interface, there no need for a graphical setup. At least what I'd love to see is an option to do a non graphical setup like we see in most linux distribution setup.

Anyway thanks again for your help. It made me progress on my setup

Cheers
Stef

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!