Proxmox on a Raspberry Pi?

hotwired007

Sep 19, 2011
UK
Has anyone tried installing Proxmox on a raspberry Pi? I've just got mine and I was thinking it my be useful as a third machine in my test cluster... am thinking i should install Debian and then install Proxmox afterwards...

this is ARM hardware, will not work.

Has anyone tried installing Proxmox on a raspberry Pi? I've just got mine and I was thinking it my be useful as a third machine in my test cluster... am thinking i should install Debian and then install Proxmox afterwards...
The only small device installation I see possible is to use an ATOM-based configuration.

Reactions: codingspiderfox
The only small device installation I see possible is to use an ATOM-based configuration.

or something like HP Microservers. we use a bunch of N36L in our testlab (AMD powered)

Reactions: codingspiderfox
or something like HP Microservers. we use a bunch of N36L in our testlab (AMD powered)
Looks nice. How many CPU sockets is available -> default 1 CPU 2 cores seems a bit to small. Can it be equipped with say 4, 6 or 8 core AMDs?

How is the power consumption compared to ATOM based setups?

the hp microservers are nothing for great cpu performance but great if you need a lot of boxes like we have in our test lab.

you can add four 3,5 inch sata hard disks which can be replaced very easy, great for the needed changes in our tests. also, we can add additional NIC card and also hardware raid cards. e.g. we have a Adaptec 3805 or 6805 running there. and it can boot from internal USB (directly connected on the board) and we have ECC ram which is not available on intel atom (AFAIK).

and very important for our staff in the test lab - they operate very quite and the power consumption is low. we love our IMS but for some tests you need to sit in the same room and this is no fun.

just to note, we got them for around € 250 per box. you can´t get anything better for this price.

I should apply for a sales job at HP :)

You could probably get it to run on an alix board... But why? The small systems just don't have the CPU and ram to make a usefull virtualisation platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could probably get it to run on an alix board... But why? The small systems just don't have the CPU and ram to make a usefull virtualisation platform.
Building a large cluster using this ATOM CPU could be a low power consuming cheap investment: http://ark.intel.com/products/49669/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z560-(512K-Cache-2_13-GHz-533-MHz-FSB). No fancy specs and only 32-bit instruction set but depending on usage it could easily support a large hosting setup.

To be honest.. I have done this sort of thing before. I think that in raw performance vs money spent you are better off putting in a 2 u server. 8/12 sas drives and loads of ram, and a dual quad core.

You will be able to load on plenty of machines, and by and large out perform the atom CPU.

Attoms are great.. But seriously sluggish when put under load :)

Feel free to try it out.. But in my opinion.... Been there done it. Then did it properly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with marotori, but I would probably put it on two 1U machines and build a two-unit cluster. That way you have some redundancy and protection in case of hardware problems on one server. Now, for the Atom boxes, they would make for good NAS boxes to house backups and could even run as shared VM storage, albeit perhaps a bit slow for that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!