Proxmox Migration via Proxmox Backup Server?

leonidas_o

Apr 17, 2022
I would like to migrate from Provider A to Provider B (I think this could be Hetzner, checking some possibilities/ alternatives but should start soon, maybe even today)

Currently the following setup is used on Provider A
- Dedicated Server 1: Proxmox
- Dedicated Server 2: Proxmox Backup Server

Currently planned on Provider B
- Dedicated Server 1 & 2: Proxmox servers (soon a third should be added for Proxmox HA), servers connected via virtual switch (for example something like Hetzner's vSwitch).
- Dedicated Server 3: Proxmox Backup Server

No ZFS on Provider A's server. So speaking about the migration, it doesn't have to be a live migration, downtime should be as low as possible but is not critical. I would guess, if possible, the best way to migrate is setting up a new Proxmox cluster of two machines on Provider B. Connect that cluster to the Proxmox Backup Server from provider A, restore the VM's (VM's are about 20GB), remove Proxmox Backup Server (Provider A), add Promox Backup Server (Provider B). Delete server 1 and 2 from Provider A. Any suggestions, optimisations here? I hope it is even possible to simply connect the Proxmox Backup Server just like that with multiple/different Proxmox Servers/Clusters do achieve that? If not, what would you guys suggest?
Thanks

I would first setup the PBS on provider B. Then create a sync job to sync all backups from provider A's PBS to provider B's pbs. Then shutdown those VMs on provider A, back them up to PBS on provider A, sync the PBS datastore from A to B (which should be fast, as most data is already there) and then restore the VM to PVE server on provider B from PBS on provider B. That way its maybe faster, as you can do a local restore instead of a restore over the internet.

I would first setup the PBS on provider B. Then create a sync job to sync all backups from provider A's PBS to provider B's pbs. Then shutdown those VMs on provider A, back them up to PBS on provider A, sync the PBS datastore from A to B (which should be fast, as most data is already there) and then restore the VM to PVE server on provider B from PBS on provider B. That way its maybe faster, as you can do a local restore instead of a restore over the internet.
hmm, didn't know that PBS have such a sync feature, very nice, good to know. Your approach sounds promising. Thank you very much

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!