Proxmox management interface and pfsense

compiz

Dec 29, 2022
Hello everybody and happy holidays :)
I got an intel nuc 10th gen with 1 ethernet and 1 wifi card, my goal is to install pfsense and use it as router for my real hardware pc/consoles etc as well for my vms.
I got a USB type C 2.5gbps nic and passed it to the pfsense vm but here is my problem:
My ISP's router is in bridge mode and if i connect to that the internal nic I will not be able to see the proxmox' interface right?
When I passthrough my USB nic to the VM that also means that the nic is no longer available to be used by proxmox correct?

So how can I make this work? Do i need a 3rd NIC? another usb to ethernet just for proxmox?

Some extra info:
1)My provider's router is a ZTE H288A with bridge mode enabled and bind to lan 1.
2)Lan 1 of the ZTE H288A will connect to the intel's NUC "eno1" directly and will do the PPPoE.
3)USB Type C nic will connect to a switch to provide internet to the home.
4)pfsense will be the 1st VM and will be autoboot. [IP 192.168.10.1]
5)pi-hole will be a container with it's own dedicated IP and will forward DNS to 1.1.1.1.[IP 192.168.10.2]
6)lancache vm will be used and it will forward the DNS to pi-hole.[IP 192.168.10.3]
7)pfsense will give the lancache's IP as DNS.
8)proxmox will have 192.168.10.10 IP (and proxmox backup server 192.168.10.11)

Just reading between the lines
Why don't you obtain the MAC address of your ISP's router and assign that MAC address to en01 - completely removing the router from the equation? If your SP requires that MAC address to connect, as well as PPoE. That's what I did though my SP doesn't require the MAC, I did that just in case.
That leaves you passing through eno1 and your USB C device to pfsense as your WAN and LAN. There is a how-to on pfsense's site on setting up pfsense on proxmox

Here - https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/recipes/virtualize-proxmox-ve.html I hope people don't mind, it's useful.

Just checked mine and my 2 pfsense interfaces are still available for assignment to CT's, but I won't - never tried it.

That leaves you using your wifi for your VM/CT's if you wanted to keep pfsense isolated.

HTH

I need the ISP's router for sync the VDSL line and it also does the telephony on another vlan so I can't get rid of it unfortunately

In that case take a look at the link I posted for pfsense installation as your first port of call, that gives a step by step installation overview. You don't need to do PCI, or USB, passthrough using that method. So the interfaces you're using for pfsense will still be available to proxmox, so you may still be able to use one of them for your CT/VM's (wouldn't try reuse the WAN NIC at all)- however as I said I keep them totally separate for security purposes.

Reactions: compiz
Aha thanks!
So do I do:
vmbr0 as proxmox management with CIDR 192.168.50.10/24 and gateway 192.168.50.1 on device enx7898e8fd75ce
vmbr1 eno1 that would be for my wan PPPoE
vmbr2 enx7898e8fd75ce (name of usb device)

the last 2 without IP/gateway right?
And I give vmbr1+2 to pfsense and just config it from the gui if I get it correct?

Alright this worked! Now both VMs and real machines gets IP and internet access thank you for the guide :)
In that case take a look at the link I posted for pfsense installation as your first port of call, that gives a step by step installation overview. You don't need to do PCI, or USB, passthrough using that method. So the interfaces you're using for pfsense will still be available to proxmox, so you may still be able to use one of them for your CT/VM's (wouldn't try reuse the WAN NIC at all)- however as I said I keep them totally separate for security purposes.
2nd thingy, I got a 4G usb stick with unlimited data, this i passed through to the pfsense but it doesn't recognize it to use as a failover.
I am going through all these things cause of internet problem at home, 1 month now and I am having constant disconnections and my Asus router that I had till now and will change to wifi AP only, if it disconnects, it doesn't reconnect. Pfsense is much more configurable and I hope it will reconnect after a DC. But until it does (maybe also desync and needs like 5~10 mins to resync) I'd like to have connection even at lower speeds from 4G

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!