Proxmox installation stuck on 3% "Creating LV's" PLEASE HELP GUYS

Dorfried

Aug 17, 2021
Hello guys
Im trying to install Proxmox on Lenovo I7 laptop but I am stuck on 3% "Creating LV's.
This is very important for me to sort out, can anyone please tell me whats wrong?

Many thanks
Dor

It is normal for the Proxmox installation to appear to hang at 3% "Create LVs" for 5-10 minutes or even longer. Give it more time, it's not a bug.

It is normal for the Proxmox installation to appear to hang at 3% "Create LVs" for 5-10 minutes or even longer. Give it more time, it's not a bug.
This is not normal, on modern hardware the installation is done in full in a few minutes.

I installed Proxmox 7.0 on nine Dell PowerEdge T420 and 7.1 on three more, and on each it was stuck at 3% create LVs on each install, which is why I went searching for this issue. I also found these:

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-7-install-fails-at-3.92520/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/pc52lv/proxmox_installation_stuck_on_3_creating_lvs/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/quo0nl/proxmox_refuses_to_install_to_hdd/

I thought about opening a bug but I don't have diverse hardware to test with, but it does appear to be a very common condition.

I have this issue as well with a Minisforum machine. It does continue to install after about 5 minutes.

I reinstalled ProxMox last week and I didn’t have the problem. However this time I installed on ZFS vdev of all 8 drives instead of just one drive. I might wipe all drives and try installing on just one drive and see if the problem comes back.

I thought I let you know my experience with that issue.
I am using a HM90 and had several challenges.

1) Installer freezes if mouse is attached
If any mouse is attached to the device (tried it with two different mice), after several seconds of showing the graphical installer, everything freezes. This can happen on the first page of the installer - before clicking the first time on next. No input by the mouse or the keyboard is recognized.
I had to reboot the HW using the power-button. After unplugging the mouse, this did not happen anymore and I could navigate through the installer.
=> Don't have a mouse attached during Proxmox-installation

2) Installer freezes at "Creating LVs"
After some research, I have the impression this seems to be a common issue. Often people are just told to "wait up to 20min". As the installer didn't seem to continue for several minutes (at 3%), I did some other stuff. After maybe 30min, I realized that the server rebooted, because it was showing the boot-menu of Proxmox. I started the installation again and now the Creating of LVs was done in a matter of seconds.
=> Wait if it hangs at 3% (some report it might take hours) and after some time it will continue / the second try will be much faster.

I was having the same issue. I thought that it was the fact that I had 2 NVMe drives 1 was PCIe Gen4, the other Gen 3 and 1 Sata HDD. I took out the HDD and still same hang issue. I tried installing on the PCIe 3.0 drive and it was done in no time flat. It did find that there were files on the 4.0 drive and I marked them as OLD per the instructions. Not sure if there is an issue with Gen 4 NVMe drives. Just thought I would throw this out there. Nobody has said if they were installing on NVMe Gen 4. It should be the fastest to install on but seems there is some work to be done on the driver or something. I am new to all this.

I had the same problem on a new z690 with 12th gen processor and pcie gen4 m.2. Hung for about 5 minutes, then flew through the rest of install.

I had the exact same problem twice on two different servers. I then tested on various other servers and setups and found that this only happens when I reinstall Proxmox on the same HD or RAID array that I previously installed Proxmox on. Fresh installs are almost always quick (depending on the speed of your drive(s)m, where reinstalls are almost always "stuck" at 3% "create lvs". Sometimes this takes minutes but I have also had a case where I gave up after more than 30 minutes. When I took out those HDDs and zeroed them (by means of dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX) the next install on that drive was as quick as on a new drive. So as far as my testing points to it seems to have to do with reinstalling Proxmox on a previously used HDD (previously used for Proxmox).
Maybe the devs will read this and this will help point them to the problem.

Brand new NVMe drive, I've had the installer sitting on "create LVs" 3% for many hours on end.

Expecting I'll just install on top of Debian, or perhaps Clonezilla from non-NVMe drive.

Last edited:
Since I am encountering the same issue, i am went a bit mad on that one.
I had this installtion running for now a record of 6h and quit it.
Then I invested a long day to see what could be the problem. I tried a lot already:
I made a Bootstick with different programs like Rufus, Balena...
I tried older version of Proxmox...
I bought different drives, latest HDD, latest SSD, competable NVMes...
I tested the drive, if they may have any problems, read out SMART values...
Ask a bunch of my colleges, ran through the internet up and down, went on shady side and reinstalled my windows - just in case...
None of this worked...but at least windows reinstalltion worked out fine!
Then I thought: "Dude, maybe its the BIOS/UEFI which causes the problem here.."
So I jumped into it and checked the settings, the version, TPM - all this fancy stuff..
And browsing the web to see if Proxmox is needed some special BIOS/UEFI settings is a pain in the ***...
By looking for possible settings on the web I found this crazy mate:
https://www.technik22.de/d/504-proxmox-bleibt-bei-3-creating-lvs-stehen/12
Sure, its in German, but what this fellow did is some legid stuff. He/She/They tested a bunch of things to verify the same problem.
At the end this person just detached the BIOS chip, flashed it and put it back on the board again.
But for me the most interesting part was, that the system was on a ASRock Motherboard.
So for me the first question to those, who still have the same issue:
Do u have an ASRock motherboard? If yes, which version?
This person just installed Proxmox on the UEFI Version 1.6!

After this madness and raging moments I took a looong session of Mortal Kombat 1 to blow of some steam, took a nap and went back on the problem.
I cleared my TPM, since its an older hardware, where I tried to install Proxmox on, checked if every setting is according to the same outcome:
every TPM setting is pointing to eather 2.0 or 1.2 - for me I set it up to 2.0.
Then I tried the installation of RAID mode - not on AHCI mode...
Failed...
Went back into the UEFI, changed the mode to AHCI and tried again...
MAGIC HAPPEND!
After a stunning 9min27s the installer passed the "Create LVs" step and finished the installation!!

But what is the right path to fix this issue now?
Well I would consider to clear ur TPM, if u had it running before, check the storage setting, if its on AHCI or RAID, change it and try it again,
I guess u will run in some fancy error codes like I did, but I completly ignored them by giving it a good hard reset...
What u else can do: rest ur UEFI to the default settings, install Proxmox without any network connection, but give it an IP out of ur network, so u can get to the WebUI later on. Oh and yea, at the end I installed it on the drive which was on the hardware all along. I didnt run it on the new drives...But now I have 4TB of space to play on - YEAY-
Last but not least - get away from ASRock motherboards - in my opinion this seems to be the main issue here. I even installed Proxmox on my Raspberry PI 4 - worked out super fine and on a MSI Board with no problems what so ever...

Good Luck! May the bits be with u!

Hi there I am trying to install on BEELINK EQ12 it's a dual NIC device with lots of other happy users out there on Proxmox but mines stuck at 3% CREATE LVS

It has been over 10 mins, do I just wait?

EDIT it took around 30 mins to start moving then to my shock DID finally start proceeding! Oops sorry for Necro bumping

Last edited:
Hi there I am trying to install on BEELINK EQ12 it's a dual NIC device with lots of other happy users out there on Proxmox but mines stuck at 3% CREATE LVS

It has been over 10 mins, do I just wait?

EDIT it took around 30 mins to start moving then to my shock DID finally start proceeding! Oops sorry for Necro bumping
My EQ12 N100 just arrived today, now I'm trying to install PVE and stuck with `create LVs` at 3% for more than 10m

Last edited:
Yep, Proxmox install chokes up on this thing for reasons unknown. As you've probably already figured out, you just need to wait out whatever it's doing. I feel like it's something disk related, almost like it's doing a low level format because quick format fails

My dev and test machine has Asrock B650D4U mobo (SKU B650D4U, EAN: 4710483942402). A half a year ago I installed there proxmox-ve_8.0-2.iso only for testing for few days, it contained original version of firmware B650D4U(01.10.00)BMC.zip + B650D4U(1.10)ROM.zip. The installation was done into slower M.2 slot (the gen4, not into faster gen5) and the disk was GIGABYTE M.2 NVMe SSD 256GB / M.2 80mm / PCIe 3.0 x4 / TLC / RW: 1700 & 1100MBs / IOPS: 180K & 250K / MTBF 1.5mh / 5y (SKU GP-GSM2NE3256GNTD). The disk was completely newly bought and clean (not reused). The installation was in reasonable time, I did not watch it so I do not know whether it did the delay at 3% or not (I did not notice anything suspiciously delaying but I did not watch it thoroughly). Later I transferred the disk into another machine and meanwhile I also updated firmware into B650D4U(02.08.00)BMC.zip + B650D4U(2.11)ROM.zip (I see that there is already even newer FW available at asrock site for both bmc as well uefi but I did not update to these latest yet). Today I tried to install proxmox-ve_8.1-1.iso into another nvme disk installed again into the same gen4 m.2 slot in the mobo. The disk is ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB / M.2 2280 / M.2 PCI-E NVMe Gen3 (SKU ASX8200PNP-2TT-C) so has about 8-fold capacity and was newly bought so clean and empty (not reused). The installer made a huge delay at 3% (creating LVs) for about half an hour (I stopped frequently watching after a quarter of hour, but after half an hour I saw that the machine rebooted silently so the proxmox install process already passed well and the proxmox was already running). The disk partitioning method chosen was the default one with ext4. What is strange that the boot menu contains the string "SATA0:" preceding the disk string (see the attachment) although the disk is not sata, but nvme. Other boot entries are normal, thus without sata string (but all other boot entries were created when installing everything half a year ago having previous firmware). The mobo has also 4 sata ports and I set them into raid mode where I have 2 toshiba hdds (SKU MG08ACA16TE, EAN 4260557511091) in raid1 mode (used only for an archive so the raid is not included in the boot menu). The today install was remote using KVM (that's why there is AMI Virtual CDROM 1.00 in the boot menu).
Yesterday I installed the same proxmox into another machine ASROCK_N100DC-ITX (SKU N100DC-ITX) into SATA disk connected to SATA_1 port (there was already someting else installed connected to SATA_0 port and something else in the nvme slot) and the install was without any delay. The disk in SATA_1 port is Lexar NS100, 2,5" - 2TB (SKU LNS100-2TRB) and the firmware already the latest N100DC-ITX(1.06)ROM.zip (the machine was shipped with original 1.05 but I updated to 1.06 as the first step before installing anything). The yesterday first attempted install was from USB stick as the machine does not have KVM. I used ventoy 1.0.96 and the install failed early (in boot phase). The second and successful install attempt was via PXE boot method (iventoy 1.0.19) and without any delay. Later I found that they already updated ventoy to 1.0.97 and the readme.md file contains a line: 2. Fix Proxmox 8.1 boot issue. (#2657).

CaptureScreen.jpeg

Last edited:
My EQ12 N100 just arrived today, now I'm trying to install PVE and stuck with `create LVs` at 3% for more than 10m

Sorry to bump. Same here - EQ12 N100. Sitting at 'create LVMs' at 3% now for 40 mins. I have a NUC and a HP micro server and never had any issue like this before. I suppose I need to just wait?

It is installing to the NVMe drive (I also have a 1TB Sata SSD that is in the box).

I had the same issue with mini-pc and 2T NVMe. I changed the filesystem to zfs and installation worked for me with that settings.

Same issue for me, on a white box AND a couple of NUCs. I figured I might have had a corrupt ISO. I downloaded again, checked MD5, and yep, still happens.

What gets me is with the same hardware it doesn't always happen, just most of the time (i've done a few installs on each trying to work out what is happening.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!