Proxmox Host Machine & Proxmox VMs firewall through pfSense VM

broskees

Aug 1, 2022
I'm trying to set up a network configuration where the Proxmox host machine and VMs are set to go through pfSense which is in a VM. See the diagram below:Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 12.37.31 PM.pngI have the pfSense VM functioning and when I use the LAN port to go to the switch, everything works fine. But Proxmox itself is not accessible from the devices connected to that switch. How can I achieve what I'm trying to do?

I've looked at some webpages already on this issue, linked below, but it is unclear to me how to set this up:

Last edited:
First you need to tell us your PVE hosts network configuration: cat /etc/network/interfaces

@Dunuin Thanks for the quick reply!
I'll include anything I think is relevant here as well as /etc/network/interfaces.

I feel like its relevant here that I tried to follow along with the settings mentioned here & here, to no avail. So that's why my settings are as they are. Currently, my proxmox host is inaccessible through the web-gui, but I do have access to the host machine.

I have two nics. The onboard NIC on my server, and a qlogic 10gbe sfp+ nic I added. I can't use the sfp+ nic for the wan unfortunately. So I have the first port on the onboard NIC as the WAN, and a port on the qlogic nic as the lan.

I can access pfsense dashboard - so I've included the port assignments in a screenshot here:
Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 3.44.44 PM.png

/etc/network/interfaces:
Code:
auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

iface enp3s0f0 inet manual

iface enp3s0f1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge-ports eno2
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp3s0f0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr3
iface vmbr3 inet static
        address 192.168.2.169/24
        gateway 192.168.2.1
        bridge-ports enp3s0f1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

/etc/hosts:
Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.2.169 pve.mynetworksettings.com pve

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

/etc/resolv.conf:
Code:
search mynetworksettings.com
nameserver 192.168.2.1

Last edited:
And enp3s0f1 is the 10Gbit NIC and that is connected to your switch and vmbr3 is your LAN bridge with a virtio NIC attached to it used in pfsense for LAN?

@Dunuin Also as of right now. I have a router between the ONT & pfSense, because I'm still in the process of moving my network over to the pfsense network. Not sure if that is relevant.

Is 192.168.2.1 the pfsense lan IP? What is the lan subnet mask from pfsense? Is anything else on your internal network besides pfsense connected to the older router?

@Dunuin & @vesalius => Turned out to be the other router. I'm not sure why that mattered. It is a Verizon router though so perhaps the ISP was doing something funky, but when I removed it and rebooted pfSense, everything just started working.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!