Proxmox crashes after trying to pass through gpu to VM with none left for host

maessa

Sep 7, 2022
I'm new to proxmox, and generally new to home servers (I've just been messing around trying to find the best OS to use for VM's and a NAS) and I wanted to try using proxmox with TrueNAS scale in a VM for my NAS OS.

Here is the funky problem. I also wanted a ubuntu VM to run Jellyfin and have a fileshare to SCALE where all my media was stored, but I was getting errors on it being a windows based share and stuff, and after spending hours trying to figure that out (if anyone wants to help me with that problem feel free, but it's not why I'm asking for help), nothing worked so I was going to try something I had before; and that was when I had TrueNAS SCALE as my host OS and was running Jellyfin through docker, which ended up working pretty well. Only thing now is scale requires 2 gpus if you want one for pass through (I have a gtx 960 and gtx 1050ti), so I thought I'd give it a try, but when ever I started the VM, the proxmox web UI would crash, and I couldn't access the machine anymore, requiring me to go and give it a hard reboot.

Was just wondering if anyone has any good ideas as to what this could be, or of there is a better solution to what I am trying to do (run jellyfin and have it access my nas for media). Let me know which logs would be useful to see, otherwise the only thing I know is that it's the newest version 7.2-3. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I've heard there are some bad things about virtualizing SCALE recently, but I don't think this would necessarily be a direct cause of the problem

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!