Proxmox Cluster / different version compatibility

lady_in_red2000

Mar 21, 2024
Hello,
So the client have quite old Proxmox cluster with 18 servers in this cluster. These servers running "Virtual Environment 5.4-15". Yes. That old versions of Proxmox.
I'm pushing customer to upgrade to the latest version, but it's a long story.

Currently they buying a new server.
My question is about compatibility. Will the cluster work and accept a new member (server), if i will install latest 8.1v on the new server, while rest of the servers will run old 5.4v.

Will i have any issues with that? If yes, what would be the right way to made upgrade? There are plenty of VM's running. a huge web portal, and there is no way to turn everything down. I can migrate VM's between servers, and only can upgrade (if needed) one server at the time.

Thank you,

No, this will NOT work 7 and 8 together work, but 5 is before knet.

You will have to upgrade your cluster from 5 to 6, then from 6 to 7 and from 7 to 8. Have fun ;)

Reactions: lady_in_red2000
Yes, or you install a new cluster and migrate your vms
This sounds easier. Will VM work if i migrate them from v5 to v8?
Should i do that by backing up on v5 and restoring on v8? As it will be different clusters probably there is no way to migrate them directly?

Thank you.

VMs should work without any problems, very old systems in containers might have problems with cgroup v2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!