Proxmox/Ceph Disk Layout

cmwillia

Jul 6, 2023
Hello All,

I am currently working on some hosts that have 8x 600GB 10k SAS drives and am planning on using these to install Proxmox and use the rest for CEPH. Is there a best way to split out these drives by filesystem? Should I use the RAID controller on the server or is it better to use the RAID utilities in the different filesystems.

Thank You!

What you ask can only be done if the server in question supports disk passthrough. With that enabled your system will see 8 independent disks and you can use them as you see fit.
Yup, just discovered that after breaking RAID. I think I can go from here. Thanks!

On 12th-gen Dells, you can flash the PERC to IT-mode via https://fohdeesha.com/docs/perc.html

On 13th-gen Dells, configure the PERC (flashed to latest firmware) to HBA/IT-mode. Delete any existing RAID volumes.

I would ZFS mirror (RAID-1) two drives for Proxmox use the rest as Ceph OSDs.

That's how I got it configured.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!