Proxmox Boot Issues on Dell T430 Server

APag96

Nov 20, 2020
I purchased two 1TB Crucial MX500 SSDs last night (not NVMe) and put them both into a Vantec M.2 RAID card. The card is *not* configured for RAID. It's just passing both drives through to the server as individual SATA SSDs.

While my server was configured to boot via BIOS, I installed Proxmox 5.X last night against both drives in a mirrored zpool. Afer the install, I ran into a problem booting where the pool wouldn't import, which caused me to get dropped to a busybox shell. To fix this, I added "rootdelay=10" to grub. That fixed the issue completely.

Then I noticed that Proxmox 5.X is going EOL, so I decided to fresh install Proxmox 6.2. After running `wipefs --all /dev/sdX` and `dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M count=1024` against both drives to clear out the old pool config, I switched my server to UEFI and booted off of a flash drive to install Proxmox 6.2. I set the two drives up in a mirrored fashion like last time. I didn't run into any issues during the install.

After finishing the install, I am not able to boot Proxmox via UEFI. I get the following:

Code:
Booting from Linux Boot Manager
Boot Failed: Linux Boot Manager

I've updated the BIOS and firmware on all components of the T430, but I still have the same issue. In the UEFI boot selection screen, the "Linux Boot Manager" option is disabled and can't be selected.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. I suppose I could switch over to legacy boot, but I'd really like to boot with UEFI. Any thoughts or recommendations?

UPDATE: Switching the T430 from UEFI to BIOS allows Proxmox to boot just fine (although I still needed to add "rootdelay=10" to the grub config to get the pool to import on boot)

Last edited:
Hi,

do you are sure that you use the installer in UEFI mode?
Depend on the Bios setting, and you get the UEFI and Bios Version.

Hi,

do you are sure that you use the installer in UEFI mode?
Depend on the Bios setting, and you get the UEFI and Bios Version.

Thank you for your reply. I am 100% positive I installed Proxmox while booted in UEFI mode. After the installation completed, I was not able to boot Proxmox until I switched it to BIOS boot mode

May be a Bios Update is available for this Server.
Sometimes there help to fix this kind of problem.

May be a Bios Update is available for this Server.
Sometimes there help to fix this kind of problem.

I've already updated the BIOS and all firmware on the server. It did not change the outcome. Thank you for the recommendation though.

Then I have no idea because it works without problems on a T420.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!