Proxmox - best practice to handle (USB) drives

roxy

Aug 18, 2024
I want to set up a Proxmox server with 1TB M.2 SATA system storage, 4 TB SATA SSD + 12 TB USB HDD as NAS storage and 18 TB USB HDD as Backup Storage. I will use it as NAS (OpenMediaVault?) and Home Server (nextcloud, home assistent, Adguard, plex, influx, grafana, vpn?, firewall? …) at the same time. I'm struggeling a little how to setup the disks. I have found different ways to do this with different methods to handle the disks.

A: OMV (CT or VM?) handles SMB/NFS shares, all other CT/VMs access the data via OMV
  • A1: Pass through individual drives to the OMV VM
  • A2: Pass through an entire Controller to OMV VM
  • A3: Create a Pool or Directory in Proxmox and assign virtual disk to OMV VM
B: Debian lxc with installed cockpit with samba, drives accessed like in A1, A2 or A3 and mount it in other CT/VMs using fstab

C: Run SMB on proxmox itself so that proxmox handles the storage (as LVM or Directory) and
  • C1: bind-mount the pve mount points of the drives directly to the relevant CT/VMs
  • C2: smb-mount the drives inside of the relevant CT/VMs using fstab

I know a homeserver with USB drives is not state of the art but this is the hardware I have already and I dont need a full high available super power server. Its just for my home to play a little bit around and learn some things. It should be stable and low power consumption. The 4 TB should be available 24/7 and the USB drives if needed. One is for plex media and the other for Backup of everything (some PCs, pve itself, the 4TB SSD and 12TB)
What is the best practice, the most efficient and ideal way to configure proxmox and handle drives with which filesystem?

Thanks a lot :)

Last edited:
Reactions: derfdorf

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!