proxmox and pfsense - connectivity under lan

Hujino

Sep 19, 2019
Hello,

Recently, i migrate my server on proxmox to learn how it works and to see something other than Vmware.

However, I've a connectivity problem on my pfsense LAN, OPT... Pfsense being a vm on my server without vlan settings into web interface

My lan network can’t get out of pfsense.

ping gateway : OK
default route into my wan : OK + shellcmd
NAT outbound : OK

Network card into proxmox : RAS

I’m a little stuck on this issue.

I do EXACTLY the same thing on VMWare esxi and on this one everything works correctly.

I also take advantage, when I create the vlans on my pfsense and assign it to an interface I lose all connectivity have you any idea how I can set it up?

Thx for ur advance

You might want to report this on Pfsense forums. Nevertheless, you want to post screen shots of your Pfsense configuration and what nic type you are using.

Hi Hujino,

Great that you are trying out Proxmox! I hope you stay with it for a long time!

I do have to ask, and also advice from others, is pfSense better run from a dedicated server, or it is ok practice to run it virtualised?

#askingForAFriend / #beenThinkingTheSame .. ;-)

- Alex

You might want to report this on Pfsense forums. Nevertheless, you want to post screen shots of your Pfsense configuration and what nic type you are using.
pfsense configuration is identical on Vmware or proxmox. However, on Vmware it's working at the first time while proxmox it doesn’t.

Did I just miss something into proxmox?

Hi Hujino,

Great that you are trying out Proxmox! I hope you stay with it for a long time!

I do have to ask, and also advice from others, is pfSense better run from a dedicated server, or it is ok practice to run it virtualised?

#askingForAFriend / #beenThinkingTheSame .. ;-)

- Alex

Pfsense works into VM as well as physical server

Reactions: Alex Metcalre
I run pfSense in a VM and have no issues with it at all, including using VLANs and dual WANs
It's possible to share ur config ?

My mine :

network_proxmox.png

network_vm_pfsense.png

no need to show my pfsense configuration, I did the basic conf

I am in the mists of rebuilding my production network and have just got the Proxmox cluster running. What I can tell you from my previous setup that ran for the better part of a year (before I started this rebuild, that was part of a relocation and required rewiring and documenting) was that I created a VM that had 4 virtual CPUs with 2GB of ram. For the network interfaces, I had to use bridges and bonds in Proxmox as I am using older hardware that does not support passthrough. I created a bond to LACP aggregate 4-gigabit network ports together and then created a bridge from that bond to pass to the VM as the LAN interface which gets connected to my main switch with a configured LACP aggregation on it as well. I then created two more bridges to add the WAN1 and WAN2 interfaces into the VM.

I did do some experimenting with VLANs (and will be implemented on this build) and only had to make pfSense and the switch VLAN aware in order to use tagging. I will be making a few VLANs to separate some devices on my network (IP Cameras, Printers, IoT, Guest WiFi, etc.).

I have not used OVS yet so I am not able to comment on that setup specifically. However on any of my nodes the only interface that has an assigned IP on the node is the management interface, the rest I assign in the VM or are assigned via DHCP which is running on the pfSense VM.

I am in the mists of rebuilding my production network and have just got the Proxmox cluster running. What I can tell you from my previous setup that ran for the better part of a year (before I started this rebuild, that was part of a relocation and required rewiring and documenting) was that I created a VM that had 4 virtual CPUs with 2GB of ram. For the network interfaces, I had to use bridges and bonds in Proxmox as I am using older hardware that does not support passthrough. I created a bond to LACP aggregate 4-gigabit network ports together and then created a bridge from that bond to pass to the VM as the LAN interface which gets connected to my main switch with a configured LACP aggregation on it as well. I then created two more bridges to add the WAN1 and WAN2 interfaces into the VM.

I did do some experimenting with VLANs (and will be implemented on this build) and only had to make pfSense and the switch VLAN aware in order to use tagging. I will be making a few VLANs to separate some devices on my network (IP Cameras, Printers, IoT, Guest WiFi, etc.).

I have not used OVS yet so I am not able to comment on that setup specifically. However on any of my nodes the only interface that has an assigned IP on the node is the management interface, the rest I assign in the VM or are assigned via DHCP which is running on the pfSense VM.
nice, it's possible to share screenshoot ?

I have been running a Proxmox cluster with a virtualized PFsense for over a year.

My PFsense moves between nodes as I have central storage setup via Freenas through ISCSI

Currently PFsense is on proxmox node 3:
- I use OVS
- vlan 1 = LAN network (through vmbr0)
- vmbr1 = DMZ
- vmbr5 = WAN (goes to a basic switch and then to my ISP cable modem)
- all three nodes have the same network layout and the interfaces are named the same on all nodes
1569012075307.png

Pfsense config:
1569012127704.png

within pfsense under advanced / network setting you have to disable some options:
1569012161127.png

Reactions: Hujino
I have been running a Proxmox cluster with a virtualized PFsense for over a year.

My PFsense moves between nodes as I have central storage setup via Freenas through ISCSI

Currently PFsense is on proxmox node 3:
- I use OVS
- vlan 1 = LAN network (through vmbr0)
- vmbr1 = DMZ
- vmbr5 = WAN (goes to a basic switch and then to my ISP cable modem)
- all three nodes have the same network layout and the interfaces are named the same on all nodes
View attachment 11864

Pfsense config:
View attachment 11865

within pfsense under advanced / network setting you have to disable some options:
View attachment 11866

I checked the disable hardware checksum offload option and that solved my problem, u're the boss thx

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!