Proxmox 6.x fails to start after upgrading packages through GUI and land on emergency mode

hisaltesse

Mar 4, 2009
I just updated the packages through the proxmox 6.x (I think 6.4 or 6.5) web interface and it caused the lxc containers to stop working properly... so I rebooted the proxmox node and now it won't come back up. Here is the screenshot of where the boot up process stops in emergency mode. I am not sure what to do here....
Note that I tried to put the root password and tried the journalctl command... couldn't make sense of anything.... then I exited and when it rebooted I got a kernel panic...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
well.. without any log or error output it will be kind of hard to help you..

well.. without any log or error output it will be kind of hard to help you..
This is what I have access to.. any commands that I can run in emergency mode that I can provide the output of to make sense of this?
Would the output of journalctl -xb help, or any particular parameters to pass to filter out what you want to see?

Last edited:
the full output of journalctl -b and systemctl status might provide some hints.

the full output of journalctl -b and systemctl status might provide some hints.
The output of journalctl -b is way too long and I don't have a way to copy it easily.. I am accessing the server via an old KVM as it is at a datacenter.. I can only take screenshots... if there is a way to filter even more let me know.

Here is the output of systemctl status

Capture systemct status.PNG

How do I run a fsck on the proxmox volume in this (emergency) mode? And would it help? When I do fsck I get "/dev/mapperpve-root is mounted"

Last edited:
it timed out waiting for /dev/sdb1 (which is probably referenced in /etc/fstab) - I'd check next what that is supposed to be and why it's not there/coming up.

it timed out waiting for /dev/sdb1 (which is probably referenced in /etc/fstab) - I'd check next what that is supposed to be and why it's not there/coming up.
sdb1 is a usb drive attached for container backups.

I commented the line that mount sdb1 in /etc/fstab and it allowed the server to complete the boot process.
Thank you for the hint.
Just not sure why it suddenly could not see the usb backup drive that was attached....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!