Proxmox 5.0 Beta2 Questions

Jun 21, 2017
I'll get right to the point:

LXC:
LXC's has a lot of hard limits when it comes to RAM/CPU/SIZE. This is not something I am used to, managing LXC's "without" a manager. I usually dont set limits unless I know there will be a re source problem. Is it possible to create LXC's without setting limits, or remove them from config manually without causing issues?

NFS:
When adding resources to an LXC from a NFS again there's a hard limit when it comes to the size of the mount. This can be avoided by mounting the NFS directly in the LXC but then it defeats the purpose of a management. Is there a way around this?

LVM:
Our server has 2 Raids, one Raid1 and one Raid5. I installed the system on the Raid1 volume and created a LVM and one huge partition on the second then added it as a storage. But I cant use this storage for backup because this needs a dir structure. How do i go about solving that?

Ideas and feedback are much appreciated!

Last edited:
LXC's has a lot of hard limits when it comes to RAM/CPU/SIZE. This is not something I am used to, managing LXC's "without" a manager. I usually dont set limits unless I know there will be a re source problem. Is it possible to create LXC's without setting limits, or remove them from config manually without causing issues?
with cpu you can delete the cores/cpu limit value they are both unlimited then
with disks, you have to be root and create a rootfs/mountpoint with size 0 on a filebased storage
with memory, you can simply set the limit to the same as the host. i think this should work

When adding resources to an LXC from a NFS again there's a hard limit when it comes to the size of the mount. This can be avoided by mounting the NFS directly in the LXC but then it defeats the purpose of a management. Is there a way around this?
again you can set size 0 in a storage,
alternatively, you can mount the nfs on the host, and create a bind mount (you also have to be root)

Our server has 2 Raids, one Raid1 and one Raid5. I installed the system on the Raid1 volume and created a LVM and one huge partition on the second then added it as a storage. But I cant use this storage for backup because this needs a dir structure. How do i go about solving that?
if you have a partition and it is mounted, you can add it as directory storage
we cannot make backup on non-directory storage (makes no sense to me?)

in general, many of these things are answered in the official documentation (either the help button on the top in the webinterface or here:
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/ )

Thank you, very useful information!

I read your wiki but I must have missed the part where 0 was referenced "unlimited".

quote: we cannot make backup on non-directory storage (makes no sense to me?)

No it doesnt :), but to add a GUI management for these options would. I was just wondering if I missed that.

Mounting the NFS's directly in the LXC's was a good option, Iv'e never seen that done before. That was very nice!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!