Proper way to dump vBIOS with NVIDIA.

Hi all.

I'm folowing the guide on proxmox wiki to make a GPU passthrough with my GTX 1060 (latest vBIOS), but I've got stuked on rom-parser to identify if the card is UEFI (OVMF) compatible.

If I blacklist the video card and try to use the wiki command like root:

Code:
cd /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0/
echo 1 > rom
cat rom > /tmp/image.rom
echo 0 > rom

I got a error of when I try to use echo 1, so I can't dump it:
Code:
-bash: rom: Permission denied

If I try to move the rom to another folder like:
Code:
echo 1 > /home/rom
cat /home/rom > /tmp/image/rom
echo 0 > /home/rom

I got a error while I try to use rom-parser
Code:
Unable to stat ROM file: No such file or directory

If I try to use the VGA device path to dump the bios with my identifier 06:00.0 for VGA and 06:00.1 for audio with no driver blacklist:

Code:
cd /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:06:00.0/
echo 1 > rom
cat rom > /tmp/image.rom
echo 0 > rom

I can dump the vBIOS to /tmp but I got another problem, vBIOS Is dumped from RAM (shadow vBIOS) due to legacy support and not from VGA like it happens with UEFI boot process.

By some reason my motherboard (AORUS B450 PRO WI-FI with latest BIOS) don't let me disable CSM - Compatibility Support Module for legacy PC boot process, and I got a black screen if it is disabled and need to clear CMOS to have signal again.

VGA support for EFI DRIVER ROM ONLY, can only be select if FAST BOOT is enabled or set to ultra fast, but I don't know if can use it with PVE BTRFS. (I'm kinda new to Linux environment), this machine have no dual boot setup, PVE only, since this will be my test machine for a game that I'm starting, so I can benchmark FPS and other stuff in muliples Linux distros and Windows also..

In other hand, if I download the vBIOS from techpowerup with curl and use rom-parser, the info is completely displayed, like the wiki suggests.

Motherboard Manual in case something very specific need to be found.

So, how I can override the the permission problems or how I can dump vBIOS to another folder and them to /tmp and use rom-parser?

TYVM in advance.

No reason really to use the rom parser. If you have the latest vBIOS (which seems to be the one the card sold with) installed it is UEFI compatible. It says that in the table of infomation in the techpowerup link you posted.
So you can ignore rom dumping and continue with setting up your passthrough vm :) Good luck

Ok, this is super stupid. But I recall that if you had nothing connected to the card, dumping the bios was not working.

Also, yes, as you pointed out, UEFI vs. Legacy BIOS does matter. UEFI does not care about that ROM, Legacy Bios doies.

PS: I was luckier with Legacy Bios with olds Quadro cards.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!