Proper storage setup

trooperkhan

Aug 1, 2022
Hey virtualizers,

Alright so I want to wrap my head around a proper storage setup when setting up ProxMox.
I installed in on metal, on a Xeon W 3670, my boot SSD is a 1TB WD Blue with a 2TB Seagate HDD.
So, should I be using ext fs? I'm not setting up any RAID volumes, so I don't know that I'll need ZFS just yet.
Also, should I allocate all of my boot disk to ProxMox?
What I was thinking initially is that I'd allocate 64GB to Proxmox as its boot volume, and then add a partition to the boot disk for each OS.
I should mention that what I'd like is to allocate a separate disk just as the home directory for my Linux VMs, and the very same for my Windows VMs.
Basically I want to be able to destruct my VM instances and their ephemeral storage as needed while keeping apps and docs in separate partitions as I would do in aws.
Also, what if at all should my swap disk space be?
As for my data storage partition, is there a way to make this an elastic storage volume in that the size of the volume increases to the capacity required by the files I save there, up to the max storage available? This would eliminate the need to do capacity planning, so I'd love to spin up elastic volumes if this is feasible.

See the screenshot attached for a visual of what I have in mind, and feel free to mark it up with corrections/recommendations.

<3
Khan

Attachments

• ProxMox Storage.png
    ProxMox Storage.png
    176.6 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: minerswin
In such a setup you would normally just use LVM thin (if you don't want to use ZFS, partitions are so 90s) on your SSD, another one on your HDD and create VMs with disks on the SSD or the HDD storage. That is also the default installation method if you use the PVE installer. All virtual disks can be (if enough local storage is present) be online resized. For Windows OS disk, this may be tricker, but that's a Windows problem, not a virtualization problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!