Promox does not request IP address

Toluun

Feb 28, 2019
So I don't really know where to begin but here it goes. A couple months pack I installed ProxMox and got a couple VMs up and running no problem. I come back to my server today and startup proxmox to do some more testing, however no IP is assigned to the machine. The command line does show an address to go to access the gui, however inf I go into my DHCP leases nothing has been assigned to the machine. Its like the machine isnt even connected to the router. I have tried a couple different things using iproute2 via the command line(bring the link up & down, adding static ip, etc). At this point I can only think to do a fresh install, but I would preferably like to avoid that. Any thoughts as to why proxmox is requesting an ipadress from dhcp?

What's your network configuration and state?

Code:
# cat /etc/network/interfaces

# ip addr
Any thoughts as to why proxmox is requesting an ipadress from dhcp?

Proxmox VE defaults to using a static IP, only during installation the installer tries to get one via DHCP for convenience.
If you want to always get one via DHCP you need to change the network configuration from static to DHCP.

Makes sense that it would stick to a static ip. Below are the requested responses.

Code:
root@pve:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

iface eno3 inet manual

iface eno4 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address  192.168.30.149
    netmask  255.255.255.0
    gateway  192.168.30.1
    bridge_ports eno1
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

Code:
root@pve:~# ip addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 100
    link/ether b0:83:fe:e3:b4:d3 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: eno2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether b0:83:fe:e3:b4:d4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: eno3: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether b0:83:fe:e3:b4:d5 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
5: eno4: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether b0:83:fe:e3:b4:d6 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
6: vmbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether b0:83:fe:e3:b4:d3 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.30.149/24 brd 192.168.30.255 scrope global vmbr0
    inet6 fe80::b283:feff:fee3:b4d3/64 scope link

from my very novice eyes everything here appears ok. There appears to be what I believe is a virtual interface,vmbr0, with a static ip of 192.168.30.149 bridged to physical interface eno1, which is port the cable is connected to. Thoughts?

My only other initial thought was maybe a firewall issue, but my server and personal PC sit on the same subnet. Additionally I see no issues in my firewall logs.

ip addr

Last edited:
According to the output your host has a static IP set and it is up. What exactly is the problem?

The problem is I can't connect to the gui nor can I ping the listed static IP. Nothing appears to be at that listed address. But that appears to most likely be a routing issue with pfsense rather than proxmos so Ill have to look into that. How would I enable dhcp for proxmox if I wanted to troubleshoot that way?

Are the entries in your /etc/hosts correct? (pointing to the assigned static IP?)

The machine I am pinging from is on the same subnet (192.168.30.2) and yes I can ping the gateway.

assuming your proxmox host cannot ping either 192.168.30.1 or 2, it means it literally has no path (either on L2 or L3) to the router. where is the cable connecting eno1 plugged in to? is it part of a switch connecting the other two devices?

Its connected to a single switch which is connected to my pfsense box. The port is tagged to the proper vlan and I have tested that other machines can ping the gateway via that connection. Additionally other machines can obtain a valid IP via DHCP through that connection. Have not yet tried setting a static ip on a separate machine.

Well I am able to ping the server if I directly connect the two machines. Most likely meaning this is a routing issue with the pfsense box.

Before reinstall try setting your up outside the dhcp range. Sometimes if static ip is within dhcp range it behavior is weard.

OK so I think I found the problem but to be honest I don't fully understand what is happening. It appears to have to do with tagged vs untagged ports on the switch. If I leave the port untagged I can successfully ping and communicate with proxmox. However, as soon as I move the port to tagged I lose all connectivity. It is my understanding that by using PVID I can give a VLAN tag to any packets that come in untagged. This appears to work on my main PC. If my NIC has no VLAN tag the PVID adds the correct vlan tag and I get a correct address corresponding to that subnet. When I give my NIC a different VLAN tag I get a correct address corresponding to the different subnet based on the VLAN tag I set. Would this not work the same way in proxmox? What am I missing?

Last edited:
Tagged vlans = you need to be listening to the vlan tag. in proxmox parlance, you'd need to do this:

Code:
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
   address  192.168.30.149
   netmask  255.255.255.0
   gateway  192.168.30.1
   bridge_ports eno1.100
   bridge_stp off
   bridge_fd 0
where 100 is your vlan tag. (it can be anything from 0-4092) depending on your switch support.

Untagged vlans = the vlan tag you specified will travel over UNTAGGED connections, so any device you plug into the port will be redirected to the vlan you specified. using untagged vlans you can use your original config.

Ok makes sense I'll give this a try. Why wouldn't PVID set the tag when it gets to the switch though? For example I don't need to set a tag on my main PC which also sits on a tagged port

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!