Procedure for PBS system disk recovery? (intact datastores)

hvisage

Renowned Member
May 21, 2013
Busy to get some documentation/preparations in place, and the question popped up: What is needed to recover a PBS server with intact datastores, but the rpool/root disk(s) failed got corrupted? (case in point a server with a single NVMe or two similar SSDs that fails together or other operator error)

The question I haven't found and answer for in the documentation yet (perhaps misreading from my side?) boils down to:

• What needs to be saved separated from the rpool to make restoration easy/simple?
So far that seems to be only /etc/proxmox-backup corect?

So the failed system disk procedure would then be something like:

1. Replace system disk(s)
  2. Install PBS from ISO
  3. import datastores (assumption datastore zpools separate from system disks)
  4. restore /etc/proxmox-backup from backup
  5. initiate datastore verifications just to be on the safe side
  6. go to pub and enjoy a beer!

Anything else I missed or are not aware of that would also need to be backed up and restored?

that's pretty much it, yeah (network config and anything particular to local user's home dirs like SSH keys/configs might be relevant as well ;))

Reactions: hvisage

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!