Problems with Storage

ezekiels24

Mar 10, 2021
hi,so im trying using my old ASUS GL553VD with i7-7700hq,32gb ram as a Proxmox Server,im connecting 4x 2TB HDD over USB 3.0 and 2x4TB HDD over USB 3.0 on the other ports

i only have one SSD,a 2TB EVO860 inserted into this laptop and i left 200GB free (unallocated) the rest are important data for windows and that ssd was GPT,

is there a way to install proxmox in the unallocated space without formating the entire drive with zfs or whatever?,

if theres no way to do it,can i install proxmox into hyperx savage (64gb) usb stick,and i know many said it gonna break it cuz of many writes,and is there a way to disable the logger or whatever else to make the usb stick not die cz of constant write?

im sorry im so stupid because theres no internal storage slot left in this laptop :'(

edit: im using this device recently for file server for my house and using server 2019 before,and im looking for vm capable OS like proxmox

and is that any advice for single partition Drive?

thanks for replying....
thankyou so much,have a nice day :)

Last edited:
is there a way to install proxmox in the unallocated space without formating the entire drive with zfs or whatever?,
Not via our installer, but you can install a regular Debian Buster and put PVE on top. See our wiki: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Buster

To install Debian, look up dual booting Linux with Windows in general, there's many guides for that out there.

if theres no way to do it,can i install proxmox into hyperx savage (64gb) usb stick,and i know many said it gonna break it cuz of many writes,and is there a way to disable the logger or whatever else to make the usb stick not die cz of constant write?
Not really, our base Debian and even our own software packages aren't optimized for this use-case at all. I'd recommend against it. If you really see no other way, at least use one of those M.2<->USB adapters and connect an external SSD instead of just a flash drive (performance would also be better, though still not quite there via the USB interface).

Hello
Here is my lsblk output... it seems to be some data in sdb, and it's marked as ´Device Mapper´. So my question is how to completely clean the disk info and reuse it for zfs storage, as sdc. Thank you in advance

Code:
root@node1:~# lsblk
NAME                             MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda                                8:0    0 232.9G  0 disk
├─sda1                             8:1    0  1007K  0 part
├─sda2                             8:2    0   512M  0 part
└─sda3                             8:3    0 232.4G  0 part
  ├─pve-swap                     253:5    0     8G  0 lvm  [SWAP]
  ├─pve-root                     253:6    0    58G  0 lvm  /
  ├─pve-data_tmeta               253:7    0   1.5G  0 lvm 
  │ └─pve-data                   253:9    0 147.4G  0 lvm 
  └─pve-data_tdata               253:8    0 147.4G  0 lvm 
    └─pve-data                   253:9    0 147.4G  0 lvm 
sdb                                8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk
├─lvm--thin-lvm--thin_tmeta      253:0    0   120M  0 lvm 
│ └─lvm--thin-lvm--thin-tpool    253:2    0 931.3G  0 lvm 
│   ├─lvm--thin-lvm--thin        253:3    0 931.3G  0 lvm 
│   └─lvm--thin-vm--101--disk--0 253:4    0    32G  0 lvm 
└─lvm--thin-lvm--thin_tdata      253:1    0 931.3G  0 lvm 
  └─lvm--thin-lvm--thin-tpool    253:2    0 931.3G  0 lvm 
    ├─lvm--thin-lvm--thin        253:3    0 931.3G  0 lvm 
    └─lvm--thin-vm--101--disk--0 253:4    0    32G  0 lvm 
sdc

Last edited:
Hello
Here is my lsblk output... it seems to be some data in sdb, and it's marked as ´Device Mapper´. So my question is how to completely clean the disk info and reuse it for zfs storage, as sdc. Thank you in advance
This is an entirely different question to OP, in the future please don't hesitate to open a new thread here in the forum for your question.

To answer your question: If (and only if!) your absolutely sure there is no data on there you will ever need, and /dev/sdb is in fact the device you think it is, you can use wipefs -a /dev/sdb to cleanse it. This should make the drive show up as "unused" in the PVE GUI.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!