Problem With ixgbe (SFP+ module for networking)

Dany Kurniawan

Feb 13, 2019
Hello everyone.
I'm new on proxmox. So please forgive me if any mistake i made.

I have deploy a new proxmox 5.3 installation.
I use QuantaGrid D52BQ-2U server which include 2 Ethernet and 2 SFP+ ( Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X520-SR2 ) module on PCI card.

When i have done proxmox installation, i just see the 2 ethernet card showing in network config file.
upload_2019-3-14_16-14-50.png

When i do execute command modinfo ixgbe
upload_2019-3-14_16-16-7.png

When i do lspci | grep Intel :
upload_2019-3-14_16-12-16.png

When i do dmesg | grep Ether :
upload_2019-3-14_16-17-13.png

Do i missed something?

hmm - From the (partial) output I see the following:
* enp103s0f0/enp103s0f1 - are the 2 X722 NICs at PCI-address 67:00.0/67:00.1 - these use the i40e driver.
* from the lspci output it could be that these X722 use Twisted-Pair, a.k.a. RJ45 cabling

The output you pasted does not indicate that there is any X520-SR2 (which would use the ixgbe driver) in the system

* check `dmesg` for potential problems
* do you see the card present in the BIOS/UEFI of the system?
* does it get recognized with a (Linux) live-cd?

* enp103s0f0/enp103s0f1 - are the 2 X722 NICs at PCI-address 67:00.0/67:00.1 - these use the i40e driver.
>> when i execute dmesg | grep ixgbe, i don't see any ixgbe output there. does ethernet support for 10G connection? i thought that 10G just for SFP.

* check `dmesg` for potential problems
>> what should i grep from dmesg sir?

* do you see the card present in the BIOS/UEFI of the system?
>> i see on bios same as lspci | grep Intel . 67:00.0 Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X722 for 10GBASE-T and 67:00.1 Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X722 for 10GBASE-T
>> No other ethernet/networking card showed up

* does it get recognized with a (Linux) live-cd?
>> when i install proxmox, it just recognize 2 NIC adapter. Like result in lspci | grep Intel

What else do i need to investigate regarding this sir?

>> when i execute dmesg | grep ixgbe, i don't see any ixgbe output there. does ethernet support for 10G connection? i thought that 10G just for SFP.
Ethernet is a layer 2 Protocol and can be transported over many links (SFP+, Twisted Pair, ...) - and 10G over Twisted Pair (RJ45, CAT5/6/7) is possible (and AFAIK becoming more common).

>> i see on bios same as lspci | grep Intel . 67:00.0 Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X722 for 10GBASE-T and 67:00.1 Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X722 for 10GBASE-T
>> No other ethernet/networking card showed up
Then it seems that either the X520-SR2 is not installed correctly or broken - maybe try to put it in another PCI-E slot

If the card does not show up somewhere in the BIOS (or with another OS (Linux LiveCD, FreeBSD, Windows)) - it is not related to PVE

Hello.
I have fixed that problem.
The problem is because i have 2 module on that server. The ethernet (twisted pair - RJ45) and ethernet (SFP module)
When i remove the ethernet twisted pair, the config file of ethernet SFP showed up.
I thought that this problem is on the misplaced position of ethernet.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!