Problem with ceph cluster without quorum

Douglas

May 31, 2016
Hi,
I am facing problems during some lab tests that I am doing. I have a cluster of 4 nodes, when they are all online, everything works perfectly. I decided to add 2 more nodes just as a ceph monitor, without any OSD, being currently with 6 nodes. Simulating an environment with two zones, each zone with 3 nodes, by simulating the failure of 3 nodes at the same time. PVE remains active, but ceph appears to lose quorum, with 3 active nodes. The ceph -s or -w command returns nothing. And via GUI it returns "got timeout (500)". Technically with 3 nodes, ceph should be working normally, all pools I have are size = 2 and min_size = 2

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
It's not a problem per se, it's how quorum works.

Simulating an environment with two zones, each zone with 3 nodes, by simulating the failure of 3 nodes at the same time.
This means, that you have created a split brain. No side has more than 50%, and therefore has no quorum. Also the Proxmox VE nodes won't have it.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_quorum

For Ceph and Proxmox VE (corosync) you will need a third location that provides quorum and is seen by the other two zones. Aside from that, this setup is not recommended for long distances.

Reactions: Douglas
It's not a problem per se, it's how quorum works.

This means, that you have created a split brain. No side has more than 50%, and therefore has no quorum. Also the Proxmox VE nodes won't have it.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_quorum

For Ceph and Proxmox VE (corosync) you will need a third location that provides quorum and is seen by the other two zones. Aside from that, this setup is not recommended for long distances.
And by the way size=2 is a bad idea ! Use at least size=3 and min_size=2 !

And by the way size=2 is a bad idea ! Use at least size=3 and min_size=2 !
IO is paused when the min_size is not met. Since that is also 2, losing a copy will result in the halt of the cluster.

Thank you all.
I will increase to 3 x 2 replicas and try to keep the data separate by modifying the crushmap for each datacenter, let's see how it works.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!