[SOLVED] PMG behind NAT SPF failed

ciprianl

Apr 16, 2021
Hi, is there a way to configure SPF when PMG and email server are behind NAT? PMG is working great but, in order to receive emails, I had to disable SPF check...
Thank you
Ciprian

Which problems did you run into?

if PMG is behind a NAT device it should still see the original IP-address of the sending server and thus be able to do the SPF check...

If I set SPF check = ON, we can not receive emails , the error is "..recipient address rejected: rejected by spf: 192.168.100.1 is not a designated mailserver for ..."where 192.168.100.1 is my gateway internal IP address

for ..."where 192.168.100.1 is my gateway internal IP address
seems your gateway is rewriting the source address as well - either you change your gateway/routers configuration - or you disable the SPF check in PMG - I don't see a way to change the SPF check to not use the source-IP

"seems your gateway is rewriting the source address as well"
This is happening always when behind the nat.

Very strange, I have another PMG in a similar config (behind NAT) and this one is working perfectly. Sender domain from same address is resolved correctly on this one . I don't know why on the other one is resolved as LAN IP of my gateway...

Well, I finally solved it. MAybe somebody will be in same situation as me so I will share it. The problem had nothing to do with PMG but with my router. The issue was related to bad config of masquerade. Thank you Stoiko for your clue: "if PMG is behind a NAT device it should still see the original IP-address of the sending server and thus be able to do the SPF check..." This made me look forward into my router config

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!