[PLEASE DELETE] AMD error 182: Pcie passthrough (Windows 10 Pro guest)

Apr 16, 2021
EDIT: my sincere apologies, this issue appears completely unrelated to Proxmox

EDIT 2: there were further changes I made (I went back and scoured through "the ultimate beginner's guide to pcie passthrough" found on reddit, following line-by-line) to the vm config before updating to the most recent driver and although it still didn't work until updating the driver this might help someone troubleshooting a similar setup. I had done everything else in that reddit thread previously and got passthrough working on Linux VM, so this might only be relevant to Windows or just a coincidence. Regardless, I added this line to the vm's conf file: args: -cpu 'host,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_vendor_id=NV43FIX,kvm=off'

I have read just about every post and tutorial on this issue. I know it's not proxmox as I've been able to pass this device through to a Linux guest, the only reason I switched to Windows guest was because of Steam limitations.

Card is the AMD RX6600.

Here is my config file:

Code:
 cat 210.conf
agent: 1
bios: ovmf
boot: order=scsi0;ide2;net0;ide0
cores: 12
efidisk0: VMs:vm-210-disk-1,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=1M
hostpci0: 0000:83:00,pcie=1,x-vga=1
ide0: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1.208.iso,media=cdrom,size=543390K
ide2: local:iso/Win10_21H2_English_x64.iso,media=cdrom
machine: pc-q35-6.1
memory: 32768
meta: creation-qemu=6.1.0,ctime=1639960840
name: VM-Gaming-Windows10
net0: virtio=16:44:AC:15:11:48,bridge=vmbr30,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsi0: VMs:vm-210-disk-0,cache=writethrough,discard=on,size=52G,ssd=1
scsi1: Media:vm-210-disk-0,backup=0,cache=writethrough,size=500G,ssd=1
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=5b56eda4-b961-4014-8afa-72f55c88e849
sockets: 1
vmgenid: 03e22f37-9fa2-4609-92ce-0d8124b685ae

I have configured IOMMU on the host, it is all working. I can see groups. Set acs override. The amdgpu drivers and blacklisted, along with all known drivers in fact. Interrupt remapping is enabled. The works.

I have even enabled hardware encoding and RemoteFX for rdp. Even though the VM boots with the PCI device attached, I cannot get the guest itself to view and use this card as default for love nor money.

At the point where I install the Radeon Adrenalin software, it says that it's incompatible with the graphics. I also cannot see the PCI device in device manager.

The error is as follows:

error 182.png

Last edited:
hi,

so what was the solution? maybe someone else will need it too ;)
Oh of course! Silly me.

It was a case of using the wrong driver inside the Win10 VM. Not sure how this happened, but I seem to have downloaded the "Adrenalin 21.10.2 Recommended (WHQL)" driver dated 25th October, rather than the "Adrenalin 21.12.1 Optional" driver which is non-WHQL from the 3rd of December.

Bizarrely, the former is marked "recommended" and the latter "optional".

Both drivers can be found here

(Also see the second edit made to OP, made after adding this comment)

Last edited:
Reactions: oguz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!