Physical Linux Server to Proxmox VM

Emerson

Jul 16, 2020
Hello,

I have a linux server (debian) to migrate to a bigger disk, in the process I'm looking forward to virtualize this server.
I did a clonezilla disk image of the server (it is on a external HD), how can I import it to proxmox and start a new VM with this image? Couldn't find much info about this on the internet.

Yes, but this guide for a two setup computer, I only have one, should be similar the process but with a file image. (the guide is also for windows and other hypervisors).
I even tried moving the folder created by clonezilla to the /var/lib/vz/images/ folder, but I guess since it is not a single file image it didn't work, will try using acronis to image it before trying to import to proxmox.

you can install proxmox ve, create a suitable VM. Inside this VM you should be able to use clonezilla to fill your virtual disk.

you can install proxmox ve, create a suitable VM. Inside this VM you should be able to use clonezilla to fill your virtual disk.

Thanks, it worked, on the wiki page it is not clear enough, that that should be done, will suggest a change.

Reactions: randre.wright

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!