pfsense with 4 public IPs - how to?

Boyd911

Apr 8, 2023
Hi there,

My ISP changed my router two days ago and gave me four public WAN IPs (x.x.169.149-x.x.169.152). So I want to run multiple proxmox hosts where the VMs use these 4 WAN IPs. I've installed pfsense on one proxmox host, which works on the main WAN IP (x.x.169.149). But I need to understand the network topology to make this work.

Should my ISP router become a passthrough modem which than routes everything to a VM which runs pfsense? Should each PVE host run pfsense as well? For example, my proxmox hosts have one nic installed.

I want to achieve that my home network can operate normally, TV setop boxes work, including port forwarding for some applications.

But I'd also have four PVE hosts, which run each 8-10 VMs; each host should use a separate WAN_IP while each VM should get a static ip. The same Portforwarding and UPNP settings should be used on each host. Ideally, I'd like to access each VM from the network. I thought that something like here could work - Multiple Public IP addresses In Use Single IP Subnet.

What is the best approach here to configure pfsense? I have read many posts and watched youtube videos but I am puzzled. Any help is really appreciated.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!