Pfsense / Proxmox virtual network

lewish479

Oct 8, 2022
Hey Everyone,

looking for some advice as im busting my brain. I have this 6 port pc initially i thought i could setup pfsense on it with 1 port Wan and other 5 LAN being able to assign same vlans to multiple ports. but turns out pfsense only lets you assign vlans to 1 port by restrictions.

Now im wondering if I can install proxmox on the box instead, combine 4 ports Using either OVS or Linux bonding and pass through it to pfsense to use as lan and use the other remaining port as the Wan. with 1 port remaining as access to my Proxmox

Now im wondering if I can install proxmox on the box instead, combine 4 ports Using either OVS or Linux bonding and pass through it to pfsense to use as lan and use the other remaining port as the Wan. with 1 port remaining as access to my Proxmox
Passthrough of a bond won't work but you can use virtual (virtio) NICs to achieve this. This is how I handle it here with my OPNsense VM where 4 physical NICs are bonded via LACP, that bond connected to a linux bridge and then the OPNsense VM connected to that bridge using a virtio NIC.

Passthrough of a bond won't work but you can use virtual (virtio) NICs to achieve this. This is how I handle it here with my OPNsense VM where 4 physical NICs are bonded via LACP, that bond connected to a linux bridge and then the OPNsense VM connected to that bridge using a virtio NIC.
And with this are you able to have multiple vlans, for example 3 vlans applied to all of the 4 ports

In order for you to use LACP whatever is on the other end of the connection would also have to handle LACP. Typically it would be a switch, proxmox node or router that does LACP. If you want to plug separate things/devices into those 4 ports then you could use a broadcast bond.

Regardless, yes all VLANs would be applied to all 4 ports in the bond.

In order for you to use LACP whatever is on the other end of the connection would also have to handle LACP. Typically it would be a switch, proxmox node or router that does LACP. If you want to plug separate things/devices into those 4 ports then you could use a broadcast bond.

Regardless, yes all VLANs would be applied to all 4 ports in the bond.
Looks like I have a lot of research ahead of me! really wish pfsense made this easier other than just buying a managed switch. because a lot of these mini pc that are being sold as designed for pfsense have multi nic. but I really should have done more research first.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#_linux_bond

Best you search this forum, there are a lot of threads discussing how to use bonds, pfsense, VLANs and so on.
YESSSS I did it Thanks for your assistance and anyone elses, but now I am stuck with a dilemma this is a pic of my setup https://imgur.com/SkIX1a9 3 items will be connected to the lan an access point which is controllered by tp link omada controller which will handle vlan for devices connected to it. 2nd line running into my room to my switch. and 3rd IP tv box. I can either cut my losses and just let the IPTV box stay on my main network 10.1.5.1 or is there a way I can shift it into my IoT network of 10.1.10.1. im pretty sure I can't do it in from pfsense since I linux bridged all 4 ports together so would probably need to be done on the proxmox end

What does your /etc/network/interfaces looks like?
Is that a managed switch?
Is your IoT subnet a VLAN?

1665353659575.png
The line leading to my room is a managed switched which I already did some testing and got the vlans working from my rooms end

yes my IoT devices is 10.1.10.1 while my main network is 10.1.5.1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!