[SOLVED] PBS to backup linux hosts

kokel

Mar 9, 2021
Hello,

we have PBS up and running to backup our virtual machines via the PVE integration.
But now we want to backup other linux hosts as well and I have some questions:

1. We have an enterprise subscription for PBS. Is it possible or planned that the PBS Enterprise Repository is available for Backup Clients?

2. Is there any documentation to install the backup client from source?

3. What is the best way to create regular backup jobs? Cron would be ok, but is there any possibility to configure the user/token password besides the Environment Variables like a configuration file?

Thanks!

3. What is the best way to create regular backup jobs? Cron would be ok, but is there any possibility to configure the user/token password besides the Environment Variables like a configuration file?

In my SOHO I'm getting the needed Environment Variables per wget from an internal webserver. This is even unsecure but more flexible than hardcoding them into a script. That way one could automate a rotation of username/password between the webserver's/client's environmental files and PBS.

In my SOHO I'm getting the needed Environment Variables per wget from an internal webserver. This is even unsecure but more flexible than hardcoding them into a script. That way one could automate a rotation of username/password between the webserver's/client's environmental files and PBS.
Thanks @ojaksch. Your approach isn't suitable for us, the internal webserver would be just another dependency ...

1. We have an enterprise subscription for PBS. Is it possible or planned that the PBS Enterprise Repository is available for Backup Clients
Even if I use the free repo on a debian system, grub2 would be updated from the pbs/pve repo on a system we only want the proxmox-backup-client.
There should be a easier way to get the proxmo-backup-client packages, maybe via a separate repository for clients.

2. Is there any documentation to install the backup client from source?
The PBS documentation regarding source install is empty. Are there any docs available, maybe in the sources?

Reactions: leesteken
Thanks @ojaksch. Your approach isn't suitable for us, the internal webserver would be just another dependency ...

Even if I use the free repo on a debian system, grub2 would be updated from the pbs/pve repo on a system we only want the proxmox-backup-client.
There should be a easier way to get the proxmo-backup-client packages, maybe via a separate repository for clients.
like http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pbs-client/ ? ;) hot off the press
The PBS documentation regarding source install is empty. Are there any docs available, maybe in the sources?
yes - it's in the git repo. you need to setup the devel repo, and install the proxmox-backup build dependencies from there (e.g., with apt build-dep .). afterwards, a cargo build should build the binaries. make clean; make deb should build the packages.

Reactions: kokel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!