Patch intel_iommu driver fails

Tirigon

Apr 23, 2018
Hey guys,
need your help, I'm really stuck on this. First time I try to create and apply a kernel patch, so don't get mad at me ;)

I follow this guide https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/t...river-to-remove-rmrr-check.36374/#post-207080 to patch the intel_iommu.c driver; reason behind this is I cannot disable RMRR atm, so I need a way to circumvent it.
What I did (short summary):
  • Download pve-kernel and ubuntu-kernel
  • Make a copy of the driver from ubuntu-kernel
  • Edit this copy as I want it to be, copy it over into pve-kernel/patches/kernel
  • Run the makefile at pve-kernel
However, when I follow the guide and try to compile the pve-kernel, I get following error message:
Code:
root@JvA:/usr/src/pve-kernel# make
gcc --version|grep "6\.3" || false
gcc (Debian 6.3.0-18+deb9u1) 6.3.0 20170516
make: *** No rule to make target 'submodules/ubuntu-artful', needed by 'ubuntu-artful.prepared'.  Stop.

Can you help me please :/ Otherwise PCI passthrough won't work, and that's really annoying...

Thanks in advance,
Tirigon

you need to run "make submodule" first.

Thanks for your help, however
Code:
root@JvA:/usr/src/pve-kernel# make submodules
make: Nothing to be done for 'submodules'.
Another make call after that results in the error mentioned before.

not sure what you did wrong, but you might be faster starting from scratch again than trying to find out. the following should "just work", and does on my system:
Code:
$ cd /foo/bar
$ git clone git://git.proxmox.com/git/pve-kernel.git
$ cd pve-kernel
$ make
gcc --version|grep "6\.3" || false
gcc (Debian 6.3.0-18+deb9u1) 6.3.0 20170516
test -f "submodules/ubuntu-artful/README" || git submodule update --init submodules/ubuntu-artful
Submodule 'submodules/ubuntu-artful' (git://git.proxmox.com/git/mirror_ubuntu-artful-kernel) registered for path 'submodules/ubuntu-artful'
Cloning into '/foo/bar/pve-kernel/submodules/ubuntu-artful'...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!