Optimization for fast dump/backup

asmar

Renowned Member
Nov 15, 2014
Hi all,

I've got a couple of Proxmox servers (single no HA) with SATA drives and getting a backup is a real pain.
It takes 50 minutes or so to get a 60-70GB of backup.

I'm planning to migrate a few of these servers into one new much more powerful server with the following drives/setup:

4 x NVMe 960GB each on RAID 10 and one more extra drive either SSD or SATA to store the backups and afterwards will sent them to a remote storage.

My question is if there is any point of having an extra drive to store temporary the backup before upload it to the remote server. Am I going to gain any speed in terms of backup or I can simple use the NVMe storage to save it temporary. I'm just looking the best possible option to take the fastest possible a full backup of a vm.

Thanks in advance

The fastest possible way would be using ZFS as you sync only the changed data.
Otherwise it depends on the system load and speed of destination drive, if we suppose that network is the bottleneck.

6 x nodes from FC SAN backing up to iSCSI NAS achieves 30MB/s each here, so 180MB/s over all servers
8 Gb/s FC on SAN Dell EMC²
10 Gb/s Ethernet on NAS Synology

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!