[SOLVED] Optimal number of Ceph monitor/manager/MDS

godzilla

May 20, 2021
Hi all,

I'm currently running a cluster with 15 nodes and I plan to add more in the near future. As for Ceph I have 5 monitors, 5 managers and 5 metadata servers which currently manage 60+ OSDs.

Do you advice to add more monitors/mangers/mds? Should I stick with odd numbers because of quorum?

Thank you

To answer that question you need to understand what your services are doing.
I try to do a simple overview:

Monitors have 2 tasks:
1) vote on the condition of the cluster. Is the osd in/out and up/down . Do we have the quorum to decide that.
2) Tell clients what the crush map looks like.
So you need 3 or 5 monitors for that task. More are only increasing the overhead with no gain. (I would say 5 is already a multi room setup)
You need to have a odd number of monitors.

Manager: They provide the dashboard, collect and distribute statistic data, doing rebalancing stuff etc.
They are needed for a good running ceph system, but they are not essential. So if all your managers would go down. Then there would be no immediate problem. You just start another manager on a node that is still up.

MDS: metadata server are absolutly depended on your data and your worklaod. For the start, you need 1 active and 1 standby as backup.
Aftre that it is absolutly depended on your data. If you have only very few files in your cephfs, but all the files a very very big. then you will not need another MDS for a long time.
So that's more a performance question:
- How many files do you have,
- How many clients do you have.
- What workload do you have.
I mean how many of the 5 MDS have you active in your configuratoin? The default value would be only one active mds and the others would be standby.

Reactions: godzilla and jsterr
Thank you very much, @BenediktS !

So:
  1. I'm gonna stick with 5 monitors, maybe I'll distribute them better to have a more resilient configuration
  2. I understand managers are fine
  3. I'm not using CephFS, virtual disks only. So I guess I don't need MDS at all?

yes, 3 monitors are fine for small to medium (and 15 OSD nodes is definitely still that category for Ceph ;)) clusters. 5 is plenty, adding more is too much and much more likely to cause issues than help in any fashion. the managers are only there for the dashboard, coillecting status/metrics info, and not as important as the managers. you likely still want to have them running in almost all cases, as a prolonged outage can affect certain parts of cluster behvavior (e.g. autoscaling). if you don't have any cephfs, you also don't need any MDS Instances.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!