[SOLVED] opnsense can't boot

Zaman

Apr 15, 2019
Hello,
i was trying to boot opnsense but the .img file not readable by the bios or there something wrong
i try nano & vga but no luck
the version nano: OPNsense-22.1.2-OpenSSL-nano-amd64.img
the version vga: OPNsense-22.1.2-OpenSSL-vga-amd64.img
so any one facing the same issue and success on booting it
Best Regards

Why you don't download the Iso, mount it in the virtual CD drive and then install it from there to your virtual disk? Thats how I installed it in a VM.

Why you don't download the Iso, mount it in the virtual CD drive and then install it from there to your virtual disk? Thats how I installed it in a VM.
so u mean there is different from img and iso, i was thinking it's supported bcs i was able to upload it with iso on proxmox

Img just means it is an image file storing binary data. That also could be a disk image or image for a bootable USB stick or something like that. If you want a CD image, look for a ISO file.

Edit: see the OPNsense download page:
  • vga: USB installer image with live system capabilities running in VGA mode as GPT boot. On amd64, UEFI boot is supported as well.
  • nano: a preinstalled serial image for USB sticks, SD or CF cards as MBR boot. These images are 3G in size and automatically adapt to the installed media size after first boot.
So for a ISO you want to select 'dvd' as a download and not 'nano' or 'vga'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaman
Img just means it is an image file storing binary data. That also could be a disk image or image for a bootable USB stick or something like that. If you want a CD image, look for a ISO file.
ok I will try dvd since it's provided as iso, hope as u said

Edit: see the OPNsense download page:

So for a ISO you want to select 'dvd' as a download and not 'nano' or 'vga'.
as y said the dvd works
thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!