[SOLVED] openvswitch active-backup bond

Waschbüsch

Renowned Member
Dec 15, 2014
Munich
Hi there,

I just noticed that the shipped version of openvswitch (2.12.x on Proxmox VE 6.3) does not yet support specifying a primary member for an active-backup bond. Unfortunately, this means that there is no clearly defined state.
Newer versions (since 2.14.x, I believe) do have that feature, though:
https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/commit/b4e50218a0f8da43ffe7c420826ddb19985b0b03
It would be very cool if you guys could look into possibly providing a more recent version or sharing your thoughts on when it might make it into PVE?

Feedback appreciated!

Hi there,

I just noticed that the shipped version of openvswitch (2.12.x on Proxmox VE 6.3) does not yet support specifying a primary member for an active-backup bond. Unfortunately, this means that there is no clearly defined state.
Newer versions (since 2.14.x, I believe) do have that feature, though:
https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/commit/b4e50218a0f8da43ffe7c420826ddb19985b0b03
It would be very cool if you guys could look into possibly providing a more recent version or sharing your thoughts on when it might make it into PVE?

Feedback appreciated!
With Proxmox VE 7.0, the openvswitch version available in bullseye is 2.15.x, so the following is now possible:

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
ovs_bonds eno1np0 eno2np1
ovs_type OVSBond
ovs_bridge vmbr0
ovs_mtu 1500
ovs_options vlan_mode=trunk trunks=2,4,5,10,20 bond_mode=active-backup other_config:bond-primary=eno1np0
# 10GBit Interface Bond active-backup
Marking as solved. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!