OMG I mistakenly pass-thru NVME chip on M/B

Proxfan2025

Sep 26, 2021
Hi,

Yesterday I added a new PCIE board with NVME SSD to proxmox machine, and tried to pass-thru that to a new VM.
However, I mistakenly chose vendor-ID that is onboard M/B NVME chipset, not the PCIE NVME board. I remember it because I have once successfully pass-thru PCIE device before.
After that, proxmox web GUI froze immediately and never boots again. OMG.

When I physically reboots the server, the command says
[FAILED] Failed to start Import ZFS pool tank.
The boot process seems to freeze for 30 seconds with that message.
I'm sorry I cannot remember when I created ZFS tank before, but I surely did it for test purpose.

30 seconds later, it repeatedly says "error writing jornal to disk" kind of message... and fails to even ping the proxmox server IP.
Curiously, before that error sequence starts to show, I can ping for 10 sec and proxmox web GUI can be displayed... for 10 sec to freeze.

Is there any way to force stop proxmox's boot process until I can recover some ZFS config?
Or any other solutions? Thanks in advance.

Error Detail:

[FAILED] Failed to start Import ZFS pool tank.
[TIME] Timed out waiting for device /dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxxxxxxxxx
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Mount Storage 'local2' under /mnt/pve.

PVE login screen appears for 10 seconds but the error message sequence shows up endlessly.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!