NPIV and vHBA in cluster

Ojars Krumins

Feb 14, 2018
My customer requested to configure a VM in Proxmox in the way similar it is in POWER (VIOS/AIX) systems, mean, a virtual FC host bus adapter should be created over two physical links with it's own wwn that should be transparently presented to FC switching fabric. I've found only few pages where something similar is mentioned. One of them is access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/virtualization_deployment_and_administration_guide/sect-npiv_storage.
It is expected that vHBA assigned to VM will move together with VM to another physical server in cluster in case of failure and following halt of the running server.
Volume from storage should go via vHBA stright to vm and it's presence should not be visible on host in any form.

Root of such desire is to avoid mess with multipath configuration. Basically host server will keep more than 10 VM's where each VM will have at least one volume from storage presented over FC. Multipathing then will be configured on every VM, and link voting in case of something would be quick. If all volumes are presented to host and then forwarded to VM, path change becomes too long and VM's start to report lost volumes.

Does proxmox support such functionality? Or anything similar?

Does proxmox support such functionality? Or anything similar?

I tried it two years ago and was not able to do it. In general, you would need hardware that supports this and a corresponding dummy device in QEMU/KVM that can handle this. If such thing exists nowadays, there is no direct GUI configuration option. You have to add it manually via the -args parameter in the KVM configuration file in /etc/pve/qemu-server/<vmid>.conf

Something similar is for libvirt. HBA's I have support (assume, they should to) vHBA creation however I can not find how from command line extract HBA parameters to xml and import back adjusted for vHBA definition. vHBA assignment to VM via <vmid>.conf is more or less clear.

Something similar is for libvirt. HBA's I have support (assume, they should to) vHBA creation however I can not find how from command line extract HBA parameters to xml and import back adjusted for vHBA definition. vHBA assignment to VM via <vmid>.conf is more or less clear.
I have created a virtual port using /sys/class/fc_host/host10/vport_create. How can I assign vHBA to VM via <vmid> .conf?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!