NIC passthrough with physical router vs virtual NIC

jack111232

Mar 6, 2021
I am relatively new to Proxmox. I have a proxmox server with 4 physical NICs (two are 10Gbe). On this server there are currently two VMs, one for Nextcloud and one for a Windows Desktop. I use the desktop VM for everyday work.
Would it be better/faster to pass a NIC to every VM and connect them via an external physical router/switch, or should I rely on the virtual network provided by proxmox to connect both VMs? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each solution?
Thanks for your help!

A physical switch will limit you to the speed of the interfaces (1GbE, I guess). The internal networking is solely limited by cpu and io speed, giving you usually a lot more throughput.

A physical switch will limit you to the speed of the interfaces (1GbE, I guess). The internal networking is solely limited by cpu and io speed, giving you usually a lot more throughput.

thanks, i have 10gbe NICs and a 10gbe switch, would internal networking still be faster ?

That depends on your hardware. You can benchmark the throughput with iperf3. I had 9 GBit on a 64bit single board computer, so with decent hardware you can most likely reach more.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!