NFS Storage offline [Bug?]

Vengance

May 21, 2016
Hello
I recently set up my new server with Proxmox 4.2-5. In addition, I set up a NFS share on another server and wanted to add the share in Proxmox as storage. Unfortunately i always get the message, that the NFS Server is offline (Error 500). I tried mounting the share on another server without Proxmox, which worked without any problems.
The log says nothing important.

On my PVE 4.2-5/7cf09667 cluster NFS is working fine, so don't seems to be a 4.2-5 issue.
Can you please post output of:

# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
# showmount -e IP.OF.NFS.SERVER

dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content backup,vztmpl,iso,images,rootdir
maxfiles 300

nfs: Backup
export /backup
path /mnt/pve/Backup
server nsxxxxxxx.ip-xx-xxx-xx.eu
maxfiles 300
content images,iso,vztmpl,backup
options vers=3

root@pve:~# showmount -e nsxxxxx.ip-xxx-xx-xxx.eu
clnt_create: RPC: Program not registered

Do you have a firewall on the NFS server or PVE node enabled? Please disable both and try again.
What's the output if you run "showmount -e nsxxxxx.ip-xxx-xx-xxx.eu" on the other (non-PVE) server?

Do you have a firewall on the NFS server or PVE node enabled? Please disable both and try again.
What's the output if you run "showmount -e nsxxxxx.ip-xxx-xx-xxx.eu" on the other (non-PVE) server?
Hi,
The Firewall is on booth systems disabled.
I can´t run the command, because i have no access to the server.

Sorry I don't have an idea but I am experiencing exactly the same issue.
I just moved my server from 3.x to 4.2-2 and when I add storage of type "nfs" using the web interface the mount appears to be added but on selecting it and choosing the Content tab all that is displayed is a rotating gif and the message:
storage is not online (500)

I do have root access to my machine so have been able to investigate further. The nfs client on the Proxmox server is functional: I can create a mount point and add a mount instruction in /etc/fstab and mounting a share this way succeeds. I can even add that mount point as storage from the web interface as type "dir".
It would appear that the web interface is not completing the creation of the mount. My /etc/pve/storage.cfg looks like this:

dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content iso,vztmpl,backup

lvmthin: local-lvm
thinpool data
vgname pve
content images,rootdir

dir: almond_ldata
path /mnt/local_data
content images,vztmpl,iso,backup,rootdir
maxfiles 1

dir: vsd_backup
path /mnt/vsd_backup
content iso,backup
maxfiles 0

nfs: red
path /mnt/pve/red
server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
export /export/vzdump
maxfiles 0
options vers=3
content backup,iso

The web interface does not appear to be creating the necessary mount point:
# ls /mnt
local_data vsd_backup

The /mnt/pve/red mount point has not been created. I have tried creating the necessary mount point from the console but that has no effect on the symptoms.

Reactions: Vengance
I also had problems with some NFS servers form OVH - in my case the link to them was just too slow or overloaded.

My example is on a private network. My NFS server may be a little ponderous but a Proxmox 3.4 host will let me add exports from it as storage using the web interface without issue.

What I find intriguing is that in 4.2 the proxmox host doesn’t even create the mount point. I assume the web interface is making some query on the nfs server before setting up the mount and when that times out the whole process fails and it doesn’t bother creating the mount point although the expected entry in /etc/pve/storage.cfg is being written.

As I said before, adding mounts in fstab works and I can live with that. It's just a shame to lose the facility in the web interface as that did make adhoc storage connections really simple.

if Proxmox VE is not creating the dir on your NFS server, it really looks that you do not have enough permissions for root on your NFS server.

eg. my default NFS server exports with this:
(rw,sync,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)

if Proxmox VE is not creating the dir on your NFS server, it really looks that you do not have enough permissions for root on your NFS server.
Or in case of NFS version >= 4.0. If server and client does not belong to the same NFS domain all users, also root, will be mapped to user unknown or anonymous.

My NFS connection was often lost whlle doing Backups to a NFS share. After a lot of time of searching solution I found, that on my NAS the MTU was set to 9000.
After setting it to auto (1500) everything works fine without losing connection

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!