NFS doesn't remount automatically after turn on or restart the NAS

cc1

Aug 19, 2016
Hi,

I added NFS with the GUI and it works, if I switch off or restart or unplug/plug again the network cable of the NAS , proxmox (4.4.19-1-pve) is not able to remount automatically the NFS and I need to do manually .

So I get this messagge on the log :
Code:
mount.nfs: Stale file handle
or the gui
"unable to activate storage 'NFS-Buffalo' - directory '/mnt/pve/NFS-Buffalo' does not exist (500)"

Manually - same result not working
Code:
mount -o remount /mnt/pve/NFS-Buffalo
mount.nfs: Stale file handle

Manually works
Code:
umount -f /mnt/pve/NFS-Buffalo
mount /mnt/pve/NFS-Buffalo

Any solution ?

this is to be expected with NFS - don't use NFS with servers that are not online 24/7

Hi fabian,
I had the same problem on proxmox 3.4, after mounting
"unable to activate storage 'Backup' - directory '/mnt/pve/Backup' does not exist (500)"

Just run this every minute via crontab:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
list=$(ls /mnt/pve)

for i in $list
do
        status=$(ls /mnt/pve/$i 2>&1)

if [[ $status =~ .*Stale.* ]]
                then
                umount /mnt/pve/$i
        fi
done

The service "pvestatd" tries to remount every nfs share every 10 seconds automatically.

Last edited:
@limone - the umount does the trick, but I'm worried about running this in crontab. Sometimes while this issue is happening, the `ls /mn/pve` appears to take forever. Did you ever have any issues with this?

@limone - the umount does the trick, but I'm worried about running this in crontab. Sometimes while this issue is happening, the `ls /mn/pve` appears to take forever. Did you ever have any issues with this?
No, I'm not using NFS anymore.

Reactions: shalak
I tryed the script, but
Code:
umount /mnt/pve/Backup
umount: /mnt/pve/Backup: not mounted

Code:
ls /mnt/pve
Backup  Proxmox-Server

Last edited:
With Proxmox 8 still throwing NFS errors, I've switched to CIFS. Zero issues.
  • NFS relies on maintaining file and mount handles for consistency, requiring a stable connection to preserve these handles.
  • CIFS/SMB maintains a session-oriented connection that allows for the preservation of client states, such as authentication and file locks, even in the event of connection interruptions.
As such back to @fabian's comment from 2016:
this is to be expected with NFS - don't use NFS with servers that are not online 24/7

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: fabian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!