newby with ARM and Proxmox

arrucucu

May 13, 2021
Hi there! i'm Agu. i'm a bioinformatic working on genetics and recently recibe a new ARM 64 core server with 256gb of ram, 1tb SSD, 2x250gb SSD raid0, 2x8tb HDD JBOD. My question is about disk configuration. I'm brand new in this world of virtualization. I want to create a container with a linux server so i can use 256gb of ram and make it a template, to clone it per project/user, or 2 containers with 128gb of ram for the same porpouse.
My questions are:
1) it's better to make a partition over the 1tb disk, get some space for Proxmox, and the rest for storage of the containers? or just left all the disk and manage the space directly?
2) for the 2x8tb hdd... i want a raidz1 on ZFS for security... can i partionate like 2x3.5tb each disk and still use it like RAID?

3)Can i use the ssd disk for high performance and storage the data in the slow disks?

Thanks for the time.
Regards, Agu.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!