New virtual machine from snapshot

plastilin

Renowned Member
Oct 9, 2012
Ukraine
Hello. tell me, can I somehow deploy a new virtual machine from the created snapshot? Is there any way to do this? For example, a user deleted a file inside a virtual machine. It is expensive to deploy backup and sometimes it is outdated. But there is a daily snapshot created by cron. In order not to stop the operation of the entire virtual machine, But to create a new virtual machine from yesterday's snapshot. Get the file you want and delete it.

it depends on the storage whether this works or not. you can try yourself by selecting anything but 'current' in the 'clone VM' dialogue..

it depends on the storage whether this works or not. you can try yourself by selecting anything but 'current' in the 'clone VM' dialogue..

If I click on the snapshot, only the options are active:

- Take snapshop
- Rollback
- Remove
- Edit

Type of storage is lvmthin

you need to open the 'clone VM' dialogue..

I found where, thanks. And what happens if I then delete the non-cloned original VM, but the one from which the snapshot was made and the clone itself?

I'm not sure I understand the question. if you delete the linked clone, only the linked clone is deleted. whether deleting the base/snapshot is possible without first deleting the clone depends on the storage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!