New disk management sugestion - PVE 5.2-8

rmundel

Renowned Member
May 9, 2015
Brazil
Hi there!

Could you consider implementing support for mdadm for the future ?

A lot of SMBs and SOHOs use it as ZFS ram requirements are very costly for them.

Thanks!

Sorry, but i think this make no sense. I know MDADM is used it for many years and it is not really enterprise. Qnap use it and... oh my god, really problems enough. MDADM sync slow, it must always sync also zero space... a lot of things, that what i think, make no sense to implement that in pve. So the better way is buy memory or reducing the useable memory for ZFS.

I use zfs @home too for three Servers works here fine and it was not so expensive. And if an SOHO are not able to buy that memory then i think there is really a money problem on an other side ;)

But... you feel free to use mdadm with proxmox on traditional shell. I've setuped also some servers with mdadm and it is working fine with low memory too. :D:D:D

I use zfs @home too for three Servers works here fine and it was not so expensive. And if an SOHO are not able to buy that memory then i think there is really a money problem on an other side

@fireon , without any offense, but think for a moment that not all the pmx users live in country where the money is not a big problem. In some countrys you need to work 12 h/day(7 day per week) for 10 euro or less. So imagine for 1 second what will be "not so expensive" for such a guy. And belive me, that I do not see this from some SF movies, but from reality.
Sorry if in my comment I have overreacting.

Reactions: fireon
@fireon , without any offense, but think for a moment that not all the pmx users live in country where the money is not a big problem. In some countrys you need to work 12 h/day(7 day per week) for 10 euro or less. So imagine for 1 second what will be "not so expensive" for such a guy. And belive me, that I do not see this from some SF movies, but from reality.
Sorry if in my comment I have overreacting.
Yes, thats an argument. But that is not in my decision. ;)

the problem with mdraid is that you can get easily into a situation where a guest can render your raid faulty (the write semantics of md raid and o_direct is not so nice)
with no way to know which disk is the 'good' one, so mdraid is not supported by us and we will not build it in (for the foreseeable future)

Reactions: Tahsin and fireon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!