selfhost_is_king

Feb 8, 2024
Hello there! I was wondering if someone could possibly assist me with a little something. You see, I'm quite new to promox ve and I have this goal of hosting my very own web server and setting it up as a DMZ. Additionally, I have a few other VM's that I need to run on the machine and I would like to keep them separate. However, I find myself in a bit of a predicament. The server is located in a different place from where I am and unfortunately, I don't have a managed switch. It's just not within my budget at the moment.

I was hoping if someone could guide me on how to set up the server in such a way that it prevents anyone who manages to get through the hosting control panel or server (if they happen to be clever enough) from seeing any other IP addresses of the other VM's on the system. It would also be great if they couldn't access the ISP router to make any undesirable changes. On the flip side, I still need all the VM's to have access to the internet when necessary, but I don't want to give them unrestricted access without certain ports without the need of using a smart switch.

I'm aware that achieving this is possible by using the firewall built-in to the software. Moreover, there's mention of VLAN technology, which is a bit new to me, and unfortunately, I don't have a switch to make use of it. Could anyone kindly point me in the right direction on how to accomplish this? Additionally, I would like to segregate the management portal from the rest of the VM's.

Lastly, just to give you an idea, I have the option to install another ethernet card with four ports into the machine that will be handling all of this. I'm currently using a simple HP compact workstation desktop that has been upgraded by a friend. I hope that makes sense and any guidance would be much appreciated!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!