Network setup, can't ping CT routed IP

NIIcK

Nov 28, 2018
Hello,

I have this issue on the Proxmox 5.1.

I have a container with 2 network interfaces. One for LAN and one with routed IP.

eth0 -> routed IP (82.xx.xx.xx)
eth1 -> LAN IP (192.168.x.x)

I can ping any IP on the network from the CT (both routed class and local class) and I can ping the LAN IP of the CT from any other device on the local network as well as from any other device on the internet however I cannot reach the routed IP (eth0) from within the LAN network.

I need to be able to directly reach the routed IP from the LAN network. If I remove eth1 then I can ping eth0 quite fine but as soon as I add it I lose connectivity to it. I need the LAN for Samba purposes.

Any help will be appreciated, thank you in advance!

What are you using for routing outside of the container?

I'm not sure what you mean by "as well as from any other device on the internet" ...LAN should not be pingable from the internet.

A router. I can ping the Proxmox' server IP address (both LAN and routed) as well as other servers in the network. It is just the CTs and VMs created within the Proxmox that I can't ping on routed IP while a second NIC with LAN IP is present.

I have experienced not being able to reach a domain I was hosting, but I've always been able to reach the ip.

You'll have to provide more routing details.

eth0 gateway is the router (one WAN 2 LAN NIC's); one LAN -> internal (192.xx.xx.xx) second LAN routed class (82.xx.xx.xx). The thing is, if there was a wrong setup on the router itself I couldn've been able to ping the routed class at all (on other machines) from LAN but I can. It only happens on the containers and virtual machines from Proxmox.

Yes; vmbr0 and vmbr1
vmbr0 -> eth0 - bound to the routed NIC on the server
vmbr1 -> eth1 - bound to the LAN NIC on the server

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet dhcp -> dhcp is dealt with by the router itself
bridge_ports eno8
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
auto vmbr1 -> dhcp is dealt with by the router itself
iface vmbr1 inet dhcp
bridge_ports eno9
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

I need the routed IP to be directly accessible on the internet as well.

If eno8 and 9 are on the device, then you are trying to bridge only with the container. But bridging is not what you want, I don't think. That would tie the ports together into the same network.

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet dhcp -> dhcp is dealt with by the router itself
bridge_ports eno8 ***should be another ports here?
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
auto vmbr1 -> dhcp is dealt with by the router itself
iface vmbr1 inet dhcp
bridge_ports eno9 *** should be another port here?
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Maybe:
iface eno8 inet dhcp
address...
netmask...
gateway...

In Proxmox Network settings, I have vmbr1, 2, 3 etc. linux bridges.

In VM Hardware settings I have Network Device net0, net1, net2, etc. with a bridge noted in the settings.

Then, in the VM itself, if I have allocated more than one network device, I just run straight iface setups with addresses, gateways, etc.

Hmm ... will give it a try. Regarding the NIC ports, they are correct; eno8 and eno9 are the network cable connected ones.

Thank you!

Bridging is done in Proxmox between node and VM/container, but then you should be able to set each virtual NIC to whatever network you need with no bridging in those settings.

eno8 and eno9 are the network cable connected ones.
Ahhh, these are the node's ports.

So vmbr0 would note eno8 and vmbr1 would note eno9, and then those bridges are able to be used by the VM.
Net0 on VM would note bridge vmbr0, and in the VM settings, whatever ethernet name is given for the virtual NIC, that should be in the iface settings.

BTW, This will put the node on the local network if you only have two NICs to Proxmox. It will not be isolated in its own network, if I'm following you correctly.

eno8 connected to router routed class LAN port -> vmbr0 (82.xx.xx.x1) on Proxmox -> eth0 on CT (82.xx.xx.x2)
eno9 connected to router LAN class, LAN port -> vmbr1 (192.168.1.5) on Proxmox -> eth1 on CT (192.168.1.6)

I can ping any IP (both routed and local) from the CT but I can only ping the local IP from within the network.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!