Network issues on VM's running Proxmox 8.0.3

A7N8R3

Feb 22, 2024
Hello! I have been trying to setup a server for a student radio at my school. This is my first time working with Proxmox. The reason I choose this software was becuse of the flexibility it creates but right now it's been more of a brick wall that I haven't been able to get past. The current issue for me is that none of my vm's can access websites. The outgoing networking work like it should it's just the ingoing for browing websites and update the vm's that isn't working. I have tried with and without the firewall and it doesn't seem to be the source of the issue. I am just kinda lost at this point have been working on this for months and some stuff are now working that wasn't before but I just can't seem to get the networking to work properly. I have been browsing this forum for solutions but have yet to find anyting that has worked. I have attached the current settings for network on my server. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• interface config on node.png
    interface config on node.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 6
  • screenshot vm1.png
    screenshot vm1.png
    121.9 KB · Views: 6
Hi,

please provide some more information. The output of ip a and qm config <vmid> (where <vmid> is the numeric ID of the VM) on the host would be a good starter.
What exactly does not work? From inside the VM, can you reach a) the gateway? b) your router/etc.? Does e.g. ping proxmox.com work? What's the exact error when trying to access some external host?

Also, the post-{up,down} commands in /etc/network/interface are always part of an interface stanza. So both these top-level post-{up,down} iptables -t raw .. must be moved to the correct interface for them to work. Afterwards, a ifreload -a should take care of the rest.

I can ping 1.1.1.1 from the nodes shell but not proxmox.com for som reason. Will get back as soon as I can about the vm's ping. Also attached the other results.

Attachments

• ip a 1.png
    ip a 1.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 4
  • ip a 2 qm config vm 1.png
    ip a 2 qm config vm 1.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 4
  • ping.png
    ping.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 3
  • qm config vm 2.png
    qm config vm 2.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!