[SOLVED] Network interface issue

sunmaster

Apr 12, 2020
Scandinavia
I did something stupid and deleted vmbr0 on the GUI, now i can't access the GUI at all. I can't even get the server online. I used yesterday and the night to try to fix this with no luck. I have edited the etc/network/interface file so many times now and will post current config. Info: Proxmox 6.1, dell r710, ethernet connected to eno1, i do have ifupdown2 installed. I have dived trough so many forum posts to find a fix, but i can't find any. I only have access to the terminal.

Code:
#Network interface settings; autogenerated
#Please no Not modify this directly, unless you know what you're doing.....

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

iface eno3 inet manual

iface eno4 inet manual

iface enp4s0f0 inet manual

iface enp4s0f1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        adress 192.168.1.124
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge_ports eno1
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

Last edited:
config file is ok. (and pretty basic, I don't see why it don't work.).

as you use ifupdown2, can you send the output of:

"ifquery -c -a" ?

If i run "ifquery -c -a" this is the output:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static                                     [pass]
        bridge-ports eno1                                   [pass]
        bridge-stp no                                       [pass]
        bridge-fd 0                                         [pass]

so, all is correctly applied.

are you sure that eno1 is the connected interfaces ?

what is the output of "ip addr" ?

also, you can try to verify with ethtool

Code:
apt install ethtool
ethtool eno1

After i wrote last post i connected the ethernet cable on each of the rj45 ports on my server to make sure i hadn't connected to for example eno2. I still could not access the server, so i connected the cable back to networkport 1. I do not have internet on the server, therefore i can unfortunaly not install ethtool. Maybe i need to check the DNS settings? etc/resolv.config looks like this:
Code:
search lan
nameserver 1.1.1.1

Output of "ip addr":
https://imgur.com/a/hI7tV9s

Last edited:
Update:
I got into the GUI by setting eno2 to dhcp and using ifup to get it up. Now i am in the GUI and can access the network GUI. I am connected to 192.168.1.33:8003 which i do not want to be connected to. I want to get it back to static. How do i configure the VMBR0 to be static in the GUI/VE?

image of networking GUI:
Annotation 2020-04-12 191341.png

Update again:
I changed ip adress on the proxmox server to something new because i could not access it with the old. Now it works! If you read this later and have a similar problem, i recommend you to first set one of your networkports to dhcp so you get access to the GUI, from there you can set up network settings. The GUI/VE is more failsafe because you can't write "gateway" wronge, for example. I used two days of my easter holiday to fix this, i hope you don't need to do that. If you need help to go forward PM me the link of your post so i can comment on it. There is so many smart people on this forums, so make a post if you need help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!