Network drops on new VMs, not old

I have realtek and have the network disconnect problem.

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

I have added two usb ethernet devices to the same bridge and quest works fine with those.
Host itself does not seem to have any problems with realtek ethernet connectivity.

Running 5.0-30

Currently, then using realtek, guest can download atleast 300Mbit/s for few seconds and then connection hangs. In a while it can retry for a few seconds.

After switching to usb ethernet dongle for testing it out, i have not seen any network problems (other than poorer overall performance due to nature of USB ethernet devices).

Sounds like a network issue I used to encounter when the port security on the connected switch port was set to only allow a limited number of mac addresses on the port. After the limit was reached, the traffic for the additional mac addresses above the limit was silently dropped.

I'm facing this issue too. Looks like it comes only on KVM guests, LXC guests are OK.
My setup is vmbr0 on eth1 connected to the switch trunk port. On this bridge I set up eth0 and eth1 for KVM guest on VLAN10 and VLAN20.

eth0 on VLAN10 has public IP
eth0 on VLAN20 has private IP

When it comes to such a drop I'm unable to ping public IP, unable to access ssh, unable to access any single open port (the involved guests are SMTP and IMAP servers) on PUBLIC network.
But I can still log in via private IP. I thought there would be a general traffic drop on public network, but netstat shows traffic on public network during such a drop, tail -f mail.log shows postfix processing mail from the internet.
This drop sometime takes 10 seconds, sometime 30 seconds. Guest reboot fixes it immediatelly.

Nothing special in logs.

I've tried several things, for example changing NIC driver from virtio to E1000, disabling firewall, tuning IPv4 via sysctl, disabling TX/RX offloading and blah blah blah... nothing helps. Again - LXC guests with the same network setup don't have this issue.

so tried this....

here have same problem... so a long time after upgrade pve-5.0.:(

[QUOTE ....Guest reboot fixes it immediatelly. [/QUOTE]

change the vnic's to link_down=1 by the Web UI and again change the vnic's to link_down=0, it's will be work again!

but there's no reason why? :(

Hi guys, I have the same problem.

I have Proxmox 5.1 on a Supermicro SuperServer E200-9B with 4 Intel® I210-AT NIC.
2 NICs are on private subnet and all works fine.
The other 2 NICs are on 2 separate WANs, both after 13/14 hours of work stop silently to communicate.
No error shown in host's logs neither in guests logs.
After guests reboot NICs start again to communicate for some hours.

This is very annoying, is there any know issues and/or some workaround to avoid this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
For me it was RTL8111/8168/8411 driver issue. I saw quite a few people with same problems and it seems to boil down to power management of network card. If this was turned off , it would keep working normally (at the expense of a little higher power consumption on idle). I moved on from this machine and sold it as windows workstation so my troubles with that box ended in there.

For me it was RTL8111/8168/8411 driver issue. I saw quite a few people with same problems and it seems to boil down to power management of network card. If this was turned off , it would keep working normally (at the expense of a little higher power consumption on idle). I moved on from this machine and sold it as windows workstation so my troubles with that box ended in there.
Many thanks for your input!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!