Cannot reach Virtual Server under Proxmox after a certain amount time of inactivity

mykeebot

Oct 25, 2023
Hi All,

I have a Rocky Linux 8 server configured under Proxmox and I have a proper network configuration as below on the screenshot...

ScreenShot_15767.gif

My problem is that after a day of inactivity, I cannot SSH to my Rocky 8 VM, I cannot even ping it...

ScreenShot_15765.gif

I have to restart the server, then I get answer to ping again and I can SSH to the server as well...

ScreenShot_15766.gif

Does somebody know what causing this? Should I modify some kind of network settings?

I really appreciate your help in advance,
Mike

You are pinging the IP of your vmbr1 not of your vm? Please post a screenshot of your vm config or the output of qm config VM-ID
If you are using vmbr1 in your vm, remove the ip from the vmbr1 and put the IP inside your vm. Usually you dont need a ip on a vmbr, it is not needed to get a connection inside the vm into the network.

You are pinging the IP of your vmbr1 not of your vm? Please post a screenshot of your vm config or the output of qm config VM-ID
If you are using vmbr1 in your vm, remove the ip from the vmbr1 and put the IP inside your vm. Usually you dont need a ip on a vmbr, it is not needed to get a connection inside the vm into the network.
Many thanks for your input jsterr! By clicking on the URL below you may find detailed description of my network...

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/c...t-subnet-under-proxmox-ve.135449/#post-600259

I had to add vmbr1 because I have to work with these IPs, it's a corporate network and I cannot change any IP address. It should work like this and it actually works, but after a while of inactivity, my Rocky 8 VM becomes unreachable. The only workaround what I can see now is the Rocky 8 VM restart.

Thanks,
Mike

Any help would be really appreciated. As I tested further, the VM becomes unavailable after a short amount time of inactivity. It's fairly frustrating because it's an application server and the users cannot reach it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!