Network Dropping Intermittently on Server2008 Question

retromodcoza

Oct 1, 2009
Hi Guys

Interesting one - I can't seem to locate the source of the problem - maybe someone can point me to resources to look at or a solution. Got a box on Proxmox 2.1 (pve-manager/2.1/f9b0f63a) with several VM's - both linux and windows.

The linuxs VM's , both container and virtualized , run perfectly. The Windows ones , regardless of NIC used (tried realtek , e1000 and virtio with latest redhat drivers) drop networking periodically and randomly.
It is common amongst ALL windows machines running on the box , including Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 (all the windows machines are 64bit).
The network drops seem to be aggrevated by Remote desktop connections and attempts to transfer files across the network. It comes back up after about 10-25 seconds , then drops again. Access via console is fine.

---------------------------------------------

pve-manager: 2.1-1 (pve-manager/2.1/f9b0f63a)
running kernel: 2.6.32-11-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.0-66
pve-kernel-2.6.32-11-pve: 2.6.32-66
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.3-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.8-3
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.7-2
pve-cluster: 1.0-26
qemu-server: 2.0-39
pve-firmware: 1.0-15
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-27
libpve-access-control: 1.0-21
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-18
vncterm: 1.0-2
vzctl: 3.0.30-2pve5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.0-9
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

-------------------------------------------------------
CONF FILE

bootdisk: ide1
cores: 2
ide1: local:300/vm-300-disk-1.raw
ide2: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1-22.iso,media=cdrom
memory: 2240
name: Server2008
net0: e1000=FE:9D:27:EC:00:8F,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: win7
sockets: 1
vga: std

-------------------------------------------------

• I understand Windows Server 2008 runs best on the virtio drives , which I installed with no effect. The drivers I used are here :
  • http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/bin/ (I used the feb 2012 ones)
  • I also , under the Advanced tab in the network drivers, selected Offload Tx LSO, choose disabled with no effect.
  • This server is not under any serious amount of load.
  • I used the drivers for virtio under the folder (AMD64) even though this is an intel processor. There were no other 64 bit intel options - is this a problem? Which one do you guys use?

Syslogs dont seem to tell me anything useful.

It seems to be similar to these posts :

But more the first one. This is a new install with a fresh copy of Windows 7 and Windows server 2008.

Any pointers or known issues that I missed? Its the only problem I'm experiencing with this entire setup :)

AMD64 describes the type of CPU generically known as x86-64, Intel implements this in many of their CPUs as well, AMD simply invented it.
The name AMD64 is often used to prevent confusion to the IA-64 CPU(Intel Itanium) which is a completely different architecture.

I always use e1000 for network in my Windows machines. (mostly all 2008 R2)
The few times I have used virtIO for network on Windows I have had issues, but the last time I tried was over a year ago.
I do use virtIO for disks with no problems.

I am using the same Feb 2012 drivers from fedora.
I have never made any special registry edits or changed any advanced options.

None of our VMs have experienced the type of problem you describe so unfortunately I do not have any suggestions on how to solve those issues.

Hi Guys

Interesting one - I can't seem to locate the source of the problem - maybe someone can point me to resources to look at or a solution. Got a box on Proxmox 2.1 (pve-manager/2.1/f9b0f63a) with several VM's - both linux and windows.

The linuxs VM's , both container and virtualized , run perfectly. The Windows ones , regardless of NIC used (tried realtek , e1000 and virtio with latest redhat drivers) drop networking periodically and randomly.
It is common amongst ALL windows machines running on the box , including Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 (all the windows machines are 64bit).
The network drops seem to be aggrevated by Remote desktop connections and attempts to transfer files across the network. It comes back up after about 10-25 seconds , then drops again. Access via console is fine.
Hi,
looks strange, but can you try to use an different hardware-nic on the host (like an e1000)? BTW. which kind of nic do you use?

You can also try to find the issue with tcpdump (like "tcpdump -i tap110i0").
Are all win-vms in a windows domain, or single workgroup machines?

I use also like e100 the e1000-driver for windows without trouble (but with registry tuning).

Udo

Re: Network Dropping Intermittently on Server2008 Question (Now RESOLVED)

Thank you for your suggestions - I tested a few things out and now know how to monitor network traffic on a VM :).

I must apologise to the forum for wasting your time and especially for being an idiot. There were 2 IP conflicts , one with a switch and another with a PC that were not showing up on my network scanner. It resulted in the network requests hopping from one machine to another and causing the dropping.

I changed the IP of both the servers and stablization occured immediately. Thanks everyone again for your help.

Re: Network Dropping Intermittently on Server2008 Question (Now RESOLVED)

thanks for feedback!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!