Need help restoring boot partition to newly resilvered rpool

Meltz014

Apr 8, 2022
Hi Everyone. I need some ZFS help. I recently got a couple new drives to upgrade my main rpool which consists of 2 drives in a mirror config. I was successfully able to rebuild the rpool with autoexpand by hotswapping in the new drives and resilvering. However, i forgot to copy the boot partitions onto the new drives, so now it won't boot. I can swap in one of the old drives to boot from and this works fine because there's still one drive in the rpool that's live. Now i'm stuck though because i don't know how to copy over the boot partitions without destroying my new rpool. I tried replacing in the old drives again but ZFS doesn't like it because now the pool is too big for the older drives (I'm not sure if it's possible to shrink down the pool size?). Anyone have any ideas on how i can approach this?

Message #general

However, i forgot to copy the boot partitions onto the new drives, so now it won't boot.
Have you still partitioned the drives correctly so that they contain 3 partitions, or are the entire drives used for the zpool?

Could you post the output of:
  • pveversion -v
  • zpool status
  • sgdisk -p <ZPOOL-DRIVE> (for each drive in the pool

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!