Need help mounting a usb drive on windows 10

clipod

Jun 25, 2020
I have a weird situations going on. I have a usb passport drive which is formatted with NTFS and I have connected to my proxmox server. when I do lsblk on proxmox its mounted at "/dev/sdb1".

Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 10.31.31 PM.png

When I configure a VM in the config file, I have entered the below line in my config file.
Code:
virtio2: /dev/sdb1

This actually works when I configure it to a ubuntu VM and I can see the drive and everything

Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 10.29.38 PM.png

When I configure this to my windows VM, it will not show up. I have installed virtio drivers and it shows up in my DISKPART.

Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 10.24.15 PM.png

but it doesn't shown under This PC section.

Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 10.25.50 PM.png

Is there something that I am missing? I am a newbie with proxmox. Appreciate any help here.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 10.28.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 10.28.59 PM.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 2
It seems like the drive does get recognized by Windows, as it shows up in diskpart.
Did you try assigning a drive letter to the desired partition? You can do that with diskpart:

First list your volumes
Code:
list volume
Then select your desired volume
Code:
select volume <volume number>
And finally assign a drive letter
Code:
assign letter=f

Its not showing up in the "list volume" command.

Screen Shot 2023-08-04 at 11.42.56 AM.png

For connecting to windows, did I do this right? Or should I configure it differently on the proxmox config file.
Code:

Did you already try to passthrough the whole device (/dev/sdb), instead of the partition (/dev/sdb1)?

Also, better use a more persistent path in/for the long term:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Passthrough_Physical_Disk_to_Virtual_Machine_(VM)
I tried passing the whole device. It asks me to format which I cannot do because it has data in it. I tried hardware passthrough like you mentioned in the link but I want to be able to access the drive across VM's (windows and linux) same time.

I tried hardware passthrough like you mentioned in the link

That wiki article describes exactly what you are already doing with:
I only mentioned it, so that you can read how to get a more persistent path for this method.

I want to be able to access the drive across VM's (windows and linux) same time.

This will, sooner or later, corrupt your data and maybe even the whole filesystem!

Reactions: _gabriel
That wiki article describes exactly what you are already doing with:

I only mentioned it, so that you can read how to get a more persistent path for this method.

This will, sooner or later, corrupt your data and maybe even the whole filesystem!
Oh thanks. I didn't know about this. Right now its mounted on proxmox and 2 Ubuntu VM's at the same time and I was able to access without much challenges. I though this virtio driver will help create an abstraction to share drives, just like sharing a CPU across VM's. Didn't know it will create such consequences.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!